Replacing Fan Motor - AC condenser unit

Really ??? Read the following post...

End quote...

Are you going to ask me how I tie my shoes next?

Reply to
<kjpro

Be sure to read the followup where it was running properly in the end. He learned something and saved $300. That learning experience will help him on the next project, just like you learned by having to solve problems.

Let me guess, you wear loafers. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Have you been there to verify that?

Reply to
<kjpro

I would look at amazon local or groupon for a discounted ac tune up. Be forewarned, most of them will sell you the parts needed at 150-300 each. A new system will run you about 7500 dollars to 11,000 dollars( depending on tonnage for your sized house ). If you just want the thing running, do the part replacement, and hope it does not die out before you sell it, but if you plan to live in the house longer, then do the upgrade, since other parts are going to be reaching the end of their lifespan. You might also do some preventive maintenance , use a shop vac to suck out the condensate line annually, that is the tubing that sticks out from the house, and lets the moisture from the system drain out, as the air is cooled

Reply to
Sid in Sacramento

There's no reason to think that. My AC lasted about 27 years with no need for servicing. The OP is probably not reading but he should just replace the motor and he's good to go

Except now that you mention it, I did have problems with the condensate line. Worked fine for 5 years, then wouldn't drain. Went down an inch or 2, then over to the wall, then to the floor, then along the wall to the near the sump, then to the sump. I blew it out but it made no difference. I flushed it out and the water poured out full blast but it made no difference. No insects. I finally rerouted it so it went down

18 inches at the start, then the same as it used to be. Worked fine after that.
Reply to
micky

First, the post you're replying to is 8 years old. Second, since the poster clearly identified the failed component as a frozen condenser fan, why should he call a service guy?

Just because am $85 fan motor goes, he should scrap the whole thing? Good grief. This AHR, not alt.let's.get.hosed.

Reply to
trader_4