Problem caulking around bathtub

A while back I recaulked my bathtub. After clearing away the old caulk, cleaning all of the surfaces and applying the new caulk, I allowed the caulk to dry for about two days before using the tub again. I thought this would be plenty of time, but the very first time I took a shower the caulk just got soft, pulled away from the wall and I had a botched caulk job on my hands.

Thinking I hadn't allowed the caulk long enough to dry, I did the job a second time and this time gave it a whopping five days in which to dry. During this time I used a shower stall on the first floor and did not use the tub I recaulked at all. However, to my amazement and disappointment, the next time I showered the caulk once again got all soft and useless.

Has anyone else had this happen? Am I making some sort of stupid mistake and just not seeing it?

Reply to
jaywalker32

The caulk you used had expired.

The solution is simple. Get a new tube of caulk. Try a different brand.

Reply to
ValveJob

Fresh caulk helps. The pulling away from the wall is a big clue, too. Tile is not degreased enough, and possibly the tub is flexing. Is it cast iron, or steel or plastic? Iron usually won't sag, but on a more flexible tub it sometimes helps to fill the tub with water before you caulk, to put the tub in weight-bearing mode.

aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Or 2/3 fill it? So that it's halfway between it's weight when your in it it with water versus when it's empty.

It's hard to do caulking and keep the sufrace dry when the tub has water in it. I think maybe I gave up on that and just sat in the tub msyefl, although I don't think I'm heavy as the water.

So far I've been trying to do this for 20 years and I havent' got it yet. I even tried that preformed bathbut cauld once.

Reply to
mm

What *kind* of caulk? Acrylic? Silicone? Butyl? Polysulfide? Et cetera...

Reply to
dadiOH

I think for this job you can use GE Silicone II Caulk. This is the one sold at Home Depot, well it is in the Porchester HOme Depot, NY.

The web site has a sort of review of Caulks. I have used the GE product and it worked for me. The one I used was for Bathrooms, and has the mold and mildew supressent chemicals in it. GE Silicone II Kitchen and Bath with BioSeal.

Best, Mike.

Reply to
hobbes