Repairing a Bent Wellhead

Reply to
clare

Generally no. The "pitless adapter" is basically a pipe elbow in a wedge that connects the pump and pipe to the hipe heading to the house/tank.

Reply to
clare

Code now reqi=uires the casing to extend well above ground level - and iff abandoned, to be properly "plugged"

Reply to
clare

It was pumping water?

Reply to
willshak

I can see removing all that _except_ the pitless adapter. That would require digging down the feed pipe for no gainful reason I can see. Leaving the adapter on the well casing wall would be expected.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

quoted text -

I think he means the half of the pitless adapter that goes INSIDE the well was pulled along with the pump, which would seem a reasonable possibility. Another aspect of this is to look at how the wiring is done at the well head, ie where it's routed and goes. Normally there would be a splice point at the well head connecting the incoming wires to the wires coming up from the pump.

Reply to
trader4

Yes, the pump was working just fine when it was last in use.

Reply to
ShadowTek

The well cap has an elbow in it for the electrical, so I don't see why they would have run the electrical in through any other point.

Last time I was up there, I could see a green T-shaped thing about 2 feet down that is probably the pitless adapter. I'll take some pics within the next few days and post back.

There is a pvc line terminating openly above ground near the well, so I'd guess that's what leads to the well. If I could just get the proper power to the existing line, I should be able to test it like it is.

Reply to
ShadowTek

The well cap was broken, so they put a bucket over the wellhead it at first, but that was gone when I got there. There could be dead birds and crap down in there now for all I know. :(

There's a road with a ditch about 15 or 20 feet from the well, so I could dig down a little around the well once I cut it off, and then dig a trench to the road to divert groundwater buildup. That sort of thing might violate code though.

Reply to
ShadowTek

tfront.net ---

de quoted text -

That part also should be missing. I, for one, wouldn't bother to replace it if I wasn't planning to use the well any more.

Wire should come up out of the ground in conduit, to a "weather head" then on into the well head where it gets all spliced to the pump wiring.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Yes, that will be the pitless adapter. If you can reach the "t", a firm pull should slide it right out. It fits into a flat, sloped "slide" with no fasteners other than gravity.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Is that PVC broken off? Normally they put a T into the line after it exits the pitless adapter. The top of the T is brought up next to the well head and is plugged so it can be used for testing, or blowing out the line for winterization if needed, etc. The other question in you case is what's going on with the other end of the line that used to go to the trailer. If you turn on the pump you may see water coming out not only at the PVC you see by the well, but over where the trailer used to be.

Reply to
trader4

what will OP use water for?

a new home on the site? if so they will likely have to get the septic tank re approved it might be too close to the well.

if OP is just using the water for irrigation then ground water contamination wouldnt matter

Reply to
bob haller

I find that things that have not been removed for a loooong time tend to not just "slide right out".

Reply to
jamesgangnc

+1...

Same for things that were screwed or bolted together tend not to come apart easily after sitting out exposed to the weather for any length of time...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

Ground water contamination in a well ALWAYS matters, because you pollute the whole aquifer.

Reply to
clare

Yep and the powers that be would get all excited about a decomissioned well that hadn't been plugged :)

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

well if its polluted its already occured.......

Reply to
bob haller

The PVC going to the former trailer is the one that I'm referring to. I dont see any other pipe, other than for the electrical.

Reply to
ShadowTek

It will be used for a different, existing home on a nearby site. This home was run from a well that supplied it and another home, and now each home will have its own well.

As for the septic tank, it's actually closer to the shared well than the damaged one.

Reply to
ShadowTek