Repaired 5A fuse on lighting circuit keeps blowing?

Hi -

I repaired a fuse - 2nd one labelled "lighting circuits" in my house panel, as all the lights on the lower floor were out.

Repaired it 2 times, and it blew straight away.

All the advice I can find so far leads to me towards calling an electrician at this point - but they cost so damn much!

Wondering if anyone had any suggestions that won't lead to violent electrocution...

Any help much appreciated.

Timmah

Reply to
Timmah

You have a short or overload somewhere. If you haven't done so, unplug everything from all the outlets, turn off all the lights and other switches, and then put another new fuse in. If it doesn't blow, then one of the things you had plugged in or turned on is the culprit. If it does blow, you have a more serious problem and need that electrician.

You can plug things in one at a time looking for the problem, but before you do, examine cords and look at the device carefully for indications of a fault.

Reply to
donald girod

Option 1: Buy a book on electrical wiring, learn how to fix these problems yourself, risk electrocution and possibly burning down your house if you don't follow advice/directions and don't do work properly.

Option 2: Ask an electrician to look at your wiring and give you an estimate. Maybe your circuit is overloaded and a new circuit needs to be added. Could be in the $100 to $200 range. Maybe you need a lot of work done and a little could be done every 6 months or so. Then you could budget for the work needed and spread the cost out over a few years. Discuss your money situation with the electrician and maybe he could work within your budget? Never hurts to ask...

Reply to
Bill

It seem so be a UK home, fixed lighting circuits are separate from outlets. Check that all the light buls are correctly inserted

Reply to
Gary Tait

Why is it only a 5 amp fuse? Are you sure that is the right size. If you are in USA, the usual fuse size for a lighting circuit is 15 amps.

And do you really mean repaired or replaced?

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

This is Turtle.

I'm not a residentiual electrician but a commercial Electrician and you have a 5 amp fuse for a complete floor of electric circuits. If you plug in a hair drier, It will blow the fuse. If you turn on a TV , 2 lites, and a clock, it will blow the fuse. If you plug in a vaccum cleaner, you will blow the fuse. If you turn on two ceiling fans and lites, you will blow the fuse. You can turn on 3 lites and don't Fort or make any noise, You maybe keep from blowing the fuse.

You do need a electrician to see why you only have a 5 amp fuse in a circuit that requires much more power than your allowing with the 5 amp fuse. There is something very wrong here by having the 5 amp fuse in this application.

I use a 5 amp fuse for the 24 volt circuit of computorized hvac systems and would never think about useing a 5 amp fuse for any electric service at all in a home.

Timmah, You got something wrong or backwards here.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

It's in the UK. In certain older fusboxes, you actually replaced the fise link itself, rather than the whole fuse.

Reply to
Gary Tait

It's in the UK, where it is code to us a 5A fused circuit for the fixed lighting circuits, the outlet circuits are always separate.

Reply to
Gary Tait