repair zipper on favorite fleece jacket or convert to buttons?

Instead of trashing it, why not give it to Goodwill Industries or the Salvation Army. Goodwill will repair it themselves (if they still do that) and sell it, and use the money mostly for job training for handicapped people. I don't think the salvation army repairs things but they may sell it to someone who can repair it, someone will wear it even though it doesn't close, or ship it abroad to people who need clothes.

At any rate, it's not just you, but loads of people who it seems just throw in the trash things they cannnot use instead of giving them to one of these two places or another charitable thrift shop. It's wasteful and I don't understand it, especially from someone who doesn't have unlimited income himself.

Reply to
micky

I put many things on Cragislist for free. It is surprising what people will take for free. May help them, but for me it is just a way of keeping things out of the land fill.

There are other free listing places such as Facebook.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

And THANK YOU for the kind reminder! The jacket is in good enough shape that I will either do as you suggest, if I'm not able to fix it, or there are two clothing bins nearby always looking for unwanted clothing and I could place it in one of those. I'm actually kicking myself for not thinking of those who may be in need here!

Reply to
Jim Horton

I got rid of my fish tank last Fall through Facebook marketplace. Initially, I was going to sell it, but wanted to move it out in a hurry, so put it up for free. Within hours, a happy mom and child came by and picked up a nice 24 g tank, Biowheel filter, extra filters, heater and extra food. They were more than happy to receive it! As for the single fish, which was a ten year old convict cichlid, I gave him back to the store where I purchased him/ her. That convict was the toughest fish I'd ever owned! I even gave "him" a name.

Reply to
Jim Horton

It's also surprising how many people figure there is some sort of catch with free stuff.

Reply to
rbowman

You're welcome. It's rare that advice here that can be construed as criticism is taken so well.

Reply to
micky