removing windows

I'm sure this is a stupid question but here goes....

How do you remove windows? I'm thinking of replacing all my single pane extruded aluminum windows with modern double panes. Looking at the window I don't see any obvious mechanism for installing them or removing them. Is all the installation hardware underneath my house siding?

Is it a good idea to let a professions handle this or can a reasonably handy homeowner handle this him/herself?

Reply to
Eigenvector

a skilled homeowner can handle it. probably the most skill comes in fixing the siding and retrimming the window inside and out. haven't seen single pane extruded aluminum windows, but you need to take it apart to figure out how it comes out. modern windows have fins which nail on the sheathing and the trim or siding covers the fin. i would recommend you look for a book,some good magazine articles (journal of light construction or fine homebuilding are a couple of good ones), or look at instructions on window manufacturer websites to educate yourself about how windows work. it's not rocket science.

Reply to
marson

Remove the glass from the window. Usually the slider will lift out of it's track. Then the stationary pane can usually be removed in some manner. The remaining frame can be pried out without much problem.

Reply to
Pat