Remaining Propane In Hand-held Bernzomatic Torch ?

I don't have any problem with anybody putting 4 gallons in a 5 gallon tank. I DO have a problem when they charge you what 8 gallons would cost for that 4 gallons in a 5 gallon tank.

Reply to
mike

Not necessarily liquid propane, right? Might be water, or ....

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

How would water get in the cylinder?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I wish to nominate this post for the common sense of the week award. And the OP should go ahead and buy a propane cylinder, and get it over with.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Not me. My halogen bulbs already burned down the house. Which killed the alligators coming out of the toilet, and dried up the retaining wall, where I'd put the garden hose to chase off the pocket gophers and green garden snakes (which everyone knows are harmless). Fortunately, on rec puzzles and rec crafts metalworking, they had a "what is it" picture of a fire hydrant wrench, so the responding FD was able to open the hydrant and get water to the fire. They used a 90% efficiency fire truck which was power vented through a crawl space, to pump the water which was fluoridated for cavities. My burglar alarm failed to report the fire, due to the bad power transformer, and the bad board. Sadly, I am homeless because Obama Care cancelled my insurance. Yes, I do have to always criticize Obama.

And they lived sadly ever after. "Hold my beer and watch this, woman!" The end.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

But that is for a tank in them foreign countries. We don't have those gram things here in the US of A. Our gas would weigh in at 14 AMERICAN ounces.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I've found most products give the net weight. Can't say as I've ever seen a product give the tare weight.

I've found about 12 ounces empty (tare) weight.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

1) cheaper than propane, so someone came up with the idea to put some in, and fake out the scales 2) hose left open during the rain storm, and then hooked to the tank; water goes ahead of the LPG 3) evil gremlins theory
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Just for giggles, you may want to tip the cylinder upside down, and open the tank valve. See if a bunch of rusty water comes out. Might not work with OPD that needs a device attached. Put your 16 ounce refil adaptor on, to fake out the thread valve.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

As would the empty tank - making the full tank something awfull close to 28 oz - or 1 3/4 lbs.

Reply to
clare

At the risk of repeating myself....

Cylinder, not tank. This whole thread is about the small propane cylinders, not the 20 lb tanks.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Cylinder, not tank. This whole thread is about the small propane cylinders, not the 20 lb tanks.

Only #3 could possibly apply.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

So, you shook a 14.1 and hooked it up to your grill, which didn't ignite? Really?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Really.

Actually, it was a 16.4 oz. You'll note that I said portable grill.

DerbyDad03

That is so incredibly helpful. When people write gas grill, I think of the pedestal type, with the twenty pounder. Thanks for correcting the oops, and clearing that up.

Those table top grills sure can be wonderful. Take them on picnics. And thy can be used to cook when the electric is off, and the electric range is cold. Not recommended to use indoors for heat, but when things are desperate. I do remember a friend who had a winter power cut, and used that and several other propane devices to fight the cold.

How water would get into one of them tanks? Only if done at the factory. The other thing, is that when the tank is cold (such as being outdoors these days) the temperature and pressure in the tank fall. If you warm the tank a bit, the pressure may come back to normal. I've had that happen when I was trying to warm a camp building in the winter, while doing some rewiring.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

He DID say a portable grill. I've had a couple of those useless 1.5 sq ft (at best) portable grills, and unless it's a high end brand like a Weber they are all useless. Can't keep them lit with the lid closed on most of them.

Reply to
clare

Set most of them on a picnic table and they light the table on fire. The vast majority are cheap Chinese crap with no certification - and are useless at best, and dangerous in many cases.

Perhaps water could get in if someone was refilling them with REALLY crappy adapters that were left out in the rain.

Reply to
clare

I've had a few portable grills in the past few decades. I have never had a problem keeping them lit with the lid closed. In fact, the opposite is true. I've had trouble keeping them cool enough with the lid closed. Low is not usually low enough and I sometimes prop the lid open an inch or two to help control the heat.

My current grill is a Sunbeam and I think it's the best I've had.

Useless? When I think back over the countless family picnics, sporting event tailgating sessions, camping trips and lunches in the park with SWMBO, "useless" is not a word I would assign to a portable grill.

My kids come by to borrow mine quite often these days, so as my use of it for them trails off, their direct use of it increases.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

The Sunbeam and Weber are the only ones I've used that HAVE worked - and the Sunbeam did burn a hole in the picnic table.

Reply to
clare

Can't say as I remember ever hearing the FD called to a picnic table fire. Do you have an online link?

Sounds like fun.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon