Refrigerator rattles

Hi,

I have a refrigerator made by Kenmore in '95 (bought from Sears). Recently it started to make a rattling/clanging noises as it shuts down its cycle. I've opened up the back side of the refrigerator and neared down the noise to a round shaped object, black in color which seems to be sealed off. I've duplicated the noise by shaking it a little, it seems something inside is moving and touching the inner walls when shutting down.

I've tried to tight all screws, checked the rubber parts and everything seems to be normal. I've also tried to 'block' the object from moving at all and it doesn't make such a loud noise anymore but I'm wondering if this is safe (those rubber parts are there for a reason, to allow movement).

I'd really appreciate a tip on how to replace that part or to repair it. Also what price should I expect to pay if replacement needs to be done by a professional?

John P.

Reply to
John P.

I susect you are referring to the compressor. Is it quite large? If the moutings have not broken, the failure is internal to the compressor, some of the suspension springs have come loose/broken. It's not repariable, and would need replaced.

It may well not be worth it, unless it's very nice.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

The compressor (thanks, now I know how it's called) is not that big, a little smaller than a regular football (soccer), size 5. I might consider your advice and replace the whole unit, depending on how much the compressor replacement with work would cost. Current refrigerators of similar costs and sizes, use about half the energy/year compared to this one.

John P.

compressor,

Stirling.

Reply to
John P.

Yes, that's it.

The compressor is likely to be a large fraction of the cost. I don't have a good idea of exact cost, I'd not be surprised if it cost over half the cost of the new unit, once it's installed. I'd not be astonished to find out it'd be more.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Of course, it may last for years if you can put up with the noise. but of course it'll fail at the most annoying moment.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Hello,

Sears and or Kenmore make nothing....

Sometimes one of the springs inside the compressor will stretch or break and the working parts of the compressor crash int othe outer casing when the compressor shuts off. Sometimes a restriction or problem inside the refrigeration system can cause or make this banging worse. The fridge can often run and operate ok like this for months/years unless the noise drives you nuts!??! This banging WILL evenually damage and break the compressor. Check your use&care manual for the warranty....5 or 10 years on the compressor??!!??

The mounts do allow the compressor to move during normal operation.

Too many specialized tools for you do repalce the compressor....average compressor is $350-450.00 to replace.

jeff.

Appliance Repair Aid

jeff