Refrigerator Has Cracks

Our Whirlpool side-by-side refrigerator is about 8 years old. I just noticed that there are a number of small cracks in the plastic lining in the interior. They're about 1-2" in length, jagged, and there are probably 10 from top to bottom. All are located on the interior rear plastic panel, none on the sides. All are in the fridge, none that I can see in the freezer (freezer is lined with a different material). I thoroughly cleaned this refrigerator about 2 months ago and there were no cracks. I did recently move it when I painted the kitchen, however, but didn't notice anything after that either. I only pulled it out of its corner, and it moved very smoothly. No "traumatic" movement or jolts.

I tried to find some information via Google, but came up empty. Are these cracks essentially just a cosmetic issue (there are no gaps, per se, just "lines"), or is this something that'll eventually get out of hand? Is there a material that can be used to fill the cracks or is it simply time to bite the bullet and get a new fridge? Eight years isn't exactly my idea of a long life, but of course it's not exactly "spring chicken" material either. ;) The only other potential "issue" that I've had, prior to moving the fridge, was hearing an occasional trickling noise. The overflow pan is fairly dry though. So I'd hate to replace this thing if it's not absolutely necessary.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! KB

Reply to
KB

Just use a spray car paint of the same colour.

Reply to
neg

My Frigidaire did the same thing. I complained to Frigidaire and they gave me 80% credit towards a replacement. Two years later the replacement did the same thing, they gave me 100% of my money back. The liner has a 5 year warranty. I did have to pay for a service call to confirm there really were cracks. I guess I should fill the cracks as moisture will get into the insulation. Good to know not to by Whirlpool as well.

Reply to
hemm99

I guess with an 8 year-old fridge, there's really no point in complaining. Bummer! Thanks for the heads up re: Frigidaire though. At least they did the right thing by refunding you. Potential moisture leakage definitely is a good reason to replace the refrigerator. Maybe I'll go with GE for my next purchase. All my other appliances (all GE) seem to be holding up well (of course I probably just jinxed myself by saying it). Neg, I'm not sure whether the spray paint comment was serious. But if it is, I'm thinking it probably won't be the best look when it comes to (house) resale, so I might as well bite the bullet. Thanks for the thought though. KB

Reply to
KB

It's not necessary at all.

The biggest problem about spray painting is that the refrigerator is in the house. Otherwise, you could just mask the other four sides.

Maybe there is some way, like a cloth or plastic shroud maybe with a fan and an exhaut pipe 4 inches in diameter or more, to keep paint that escapes from landing everywhere. I have the same problem because I want to spray paint a few rust spots on the front top edge of my washing machine. (I sometimes let clothes still damp from the dryer rest there. I didn't think it would hurt. It is just cosmetic and I'm the only one who sees it, but I like things nice.)

They make very sticky cloth tape, 2 or 3 inches wide, nicer than duck tape, and it doesn't stretch, so the pieces are square if you just rip them. I have a big roll in blue. Don't know if they have it in white. How often do you actually see the back of your refrigerator, anyhow? Usually I'm higher than the shelves and am looking towards the bottom, or there is food in the way. So you'd never see the tape.

But if it really bothers you, you could get a piece of white stuff and make a template, and cut the stuff to fit, then glue it to the back. You might have to buy a 4x8 sheet. I don't have the material in front of me, but for about 20 dollars I bought a 4x8 sheet at store listed in the "Plastics, wholesale and retail" It's a bit over an eighth inch thick, and I plan to cover the wall behind my sink and stove with it. There are a lot of flaws in that wall that this will cover. I think it will look nice. It cut with a saber saw, but might cut by scoring and bending or multiple scoring until it is cut through. You might be able to get by with soemthing thinner that would cut with scissors. Because you can glue it to the back. (My wall isn't flat enough to do that) This place had a "small order" charge of about 20 dollars which the woman waived in my case. I didn't even know about it, and hadn't asked her to waive it, when she told me she would.

I was going to use a bathtub or shower "surround". That might also be a source of a big sheet of plastic.

Reply to
mm