Replacing a light switch

I am trying to replace a light switch and have removed the old switch and am having troubles deciding where the 4 wires go on the back of the new switch.I have 2 red & 2 black The back of the switch has 4 holes. One at the top has a plastic cross over it & I suppose that means I don't use it To the right it says common to the left it says loop & the last on on the bottom in the middle is unmarked. The existing wires seem to want to go as follows; 2 black are together & want to be on the left (loop) I think. I guess the 2 reds are the switch wires.Am I correct in thinking 1 goes to common & the other to the unmarked bottom

Thanks Brian

Reply to
Brian

Is this a 4-way light switch? (that is, is it one of more than two switches that control the same light?) I'm guessing yes, from your description. It also sounds like you've purchased a 3-way as a replacement; that won't work.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Thanks for the responses to my query. It is only a single switch (only runs 1 light. The switch I purchased is a common architrave type switch by Clipsal

Reply to
Brian

You have too many wires for a normal single light switch and the wire colors are odd.

Note: this is in Australia ....

Reply to
marks542004

Put them back the way they were on the original switch.

If you didn't keep notes, you are unqualified to do the work and should hire an electrician.

And no, that's not harsh.

Reply to
CJT

Thanks I did actually note their original location but they came apart in the transfer. It can't be that complicated active & neutral in active & neutral out through a switch keep the 2 neutral together & the 2 reds thru the switch to break the circuit.I'll go with that. It was only the back of the new switch that stumped me.I'll work it out . I just went & bought another archetrave switch to check to poles on the back & yes they have 4 places for the wires

Reply to
Brian

Were the 2 reds or maybe the 2 blacks connected to the same screw when before you took out the old switch? Make a sketch of the old switch wiring right now, when you still might remember what it looked like.

Ignore my first question and make the sketch like you remember it.

Reply to
mm

Thanks for your help I have fixed it myself 2 blacks to loop 1 red to common 1 red to other on bottom & surprise surprise it works.I just got a bit scared & confused when they came apart.It was only a matter of working my way thru it .the extra hole confused the issue. Thanks for your time. Alls well that ends well

Reply to
Brian

I think so too.

Now I get it. It would have helped to have known that! I don't normally display headers in usenet.

Reply to
mm

Then your notes were inadequate. They should have included the individual wires and which were together.

But since you've thanked every one youre problably not reading anymore.

Reply to
mm

Where do you live and is this a 240V system?

nate

(just got a thought...)

Reply to
Nate Nagel