Refinish Black Slate Fireplace Surround

I have a black slate fireplace surround and I've drop acetone on the slate which removed a portion of the black finish to show the true gray color. I don't believe the slate is painted, but stained in some way.

Does anyone know of a slate staining product I could apply to my slate surround so it has a nice new black finish?

Reply to
badaczewski

Boiled linseed oil, thinned with common mineral spirits, should work very well. Wipe on, wipe off, then dispose of rags as per directions on the linseed oil can.

Reply to
newsreader

I've installed slate in my house. Applying slate sealer tends to darken the slate slightly. I suggest you clean your slate with solvent to bring it all to a uniform colour and seal it with slate sealer. Slate suppliers usually recommend that you do that periodically anyway to keep the slate looking new.

Reply to
ben.aust

Can I get a rough ratio for the linsees oil and mineral spirits? Also, do you think I shoudl apply more linseed oil to the "dry spot" created by the acetone to help saturate the slate evenly? Maybe that is just being overly cautious.

Reply to
badaczewski