Caulk for fireplace surround

I'm getting ready to build a fireplace surround to cover a brick floor to ceiling fireplace. There are some places where 1x4 will be edge butted vertically against the brick. The 1x4 is true on the edge, the brick is not. So, I guess I need to either carefully cope out the 1x4 or use a caulk for beading between the wood edge and the brick. Any suggestions on the type of caulk or beading? I'm using birch for this project that will be stained a dark cherry. Is there any caulk that can take a stain?

Thanks for all suggestions.

Reply to
Cap'n 321

There are code requirements limiting how closely combustibles can be to a fireplace opening, so you should look into those requirements before sizing the fireplace opening. As far as the caulk, It's unlikely that you will be able to stain the caulk to give anything more than a very rough approximation of the stained wood. It's probably preferable cope the wood. If you're set on using caulk, a color-matched tile caulk would be your best bet. Try a real tile store - they usually stock a dozen colors and can get more.

RicodJour

I'd use a pencil and scribe and cut the line with a BS or jig saw and or put mortar in the crack.

Reply to
Leon

And that is exactly what it would be/look like if it was the other way around and the brick was put up last. This is probably the best solution to the problem.

Reply to
Swingman

I advise checking with the local inspector before proceeding in any case.

In my case, the brick facade from about 16 inches above the opening and down to the floor was part of the chimney structure (no thermal break). The AHJ here insisted that there be no wood in contact with the masonry in that area, even beyond the required clearance from the opening. It seems the wood framed walls on either side of the structure were as close as he'd allow wood to get to the opening.

Reply to
Art Greenberg