Slate mirror frame

Photos were posted to the binaries newsgroup, with the following text:

----------- Speaking of using marble for decoration somewhere other than on a floor or counter top, I also did some work with slate that was both fun and came out well. We had a second place up in the mountains, and it has a granite tile entry, with a framed mirror hung over a primitive table to add to the sense of depth. The mirror's frame was pretty crappy, so one weekend I decided to see if I could improve on things. A trip to Lowe's found 12" slate tiles that while having a gray background, also has veins of gold color, some brown colors and even a bit of green in them. They looked like they'd been made to go with the entry's granite floor and the veins matched the stone fireplace that was visible beyond the entry. Besides, they were cheap.

I bought a couple boxes of the slate tiles, dug out my wet saw, and found a nice, non-beveled edge 30" X 36" X 1/4" plate glass mirror. The mirror was glued to the drywall, using mirror mastic and supported from shear loading of the mastic (while curing out for a week) by some 8d nails driven into the studs to support the mirror bottom. The mirror was non-beveled so that the thickness would closely match the slate surround I planned to make.

The following weekend, I ripped the slate into 1", 2" and 3" widths on the wet saw. Then, I used Liquid Nails for CCA Decks to attach the ripped pieces to the drywall. I first surrounded the mirror with 1" widths of varying lengths, and wasn't very careful to press everything down tight. I wanted a slightly 3 dimensional look to the slate. As with the nails I'd removed from below the mirror, I used dressmaker pins (about an inch long with a glass head on them) to support the slate pieces until the Liquid Nails cured. Essentially, each pass took 3 days to do. Each day, I increased the width of the slate pieces to use the 2" and then the

3" ones.

When the pins for the 3" pieces were finally removed, the mirror and its frame looked like a million bucks, matching the floor and complimenting the fireplace, while going well with the little table and adding depth to the small entry.

Reply to
Nonny

They're posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking I thought that'd be the best way to get them out there if anyone was interested.

Reply to
Nonny