Re: OT: Roll Up Your Sleeves

It would be a lot better show without the politicians. The last sentence makes it sound like the show will be a soap opera. I hope Ed has Kleenex.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Tears make for good propaganda. The CDC is crowing about 50% of the population having gotten at least one shot. otoh, there are many news stories about open appointments going unused that they are trying to spin.

Since 2010, despite all the hype, less than 50% of the population gets a flu shot every year. They may be hitting that wall with the covid vaccines and have to crank up the propaganda.

Reply to
rbowman

I have been getting the flu shot for over 20 years. No problem, but this past season the wife and I both got the flu about 2 weeks after the shots. As we do not get around that many people, that may be our last flu shot.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Why? 20 to 1 odds are pretty good. The flu shot is not 100% but without it your potential is.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

No chance with 500K killed by it. Sure, some fools don?t believe that but its only a tiny minority that are that stupid.

Reply to
Fred

No its not if you do not get around that many people.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

One advantgage of mRNA vaccines - you will NEVER get the disease you are being vaccinated against. Within 2 years I predict the flu vaccine will be an mRNA vaccine that will cover virtually all strains of flu plus they will throw in the COVID booster as a bonus.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

On 20:1 odds I'd be buying lottery tickets every week!!!

Reply to
Clare Snyder

The last I heard the county vax site here had a few thousand open appointments and we are open for anyone 16 and up. We do have a pretty good fully vaccinated rate and I think I heard the 65+ was close to

80%. They are on the news every night flogging the numbers but I am not really that interested. That is behind all of us. For whatever it is worth we are all done.
Reply to
gfretwell

That remains to be seen given how fast influenza mutates.

No need for a covid booster if they can do a mRNA vaccine that covers virtually all strains of covid.

There is a very fundamental problem with your logic there.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

The 20 to 1 odds are not too good if the payback is only 15 to 1.

If I was still working and doing things where I had to be around lots of people I would get the flu shot, but now I am not around many people so the odds of getting the flu with out the shot are much worse.

LIke flood insurance for a house. The one I used to live in was on some of the highest ground in the county. Unless there is another great flood that covers much of the earth no way would it flood. The house I live in now has a small creek that is less than a foot deep normally. A heavy rain will put it out of the bank and flood about 20 feet away. Howeve the hose is about 100 feet away and close to 30 feet higher due to the steepness of the yard. I doubt the house could ever be flooded here either. Many other houses in the county have been flooded many times as they are built in a flood area. Never did understand why the houses were built there.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Does not matter how many if you contact the right one. Could be at a crowded concert or the only person you see at the corner store. I'll take the shot.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

It looks like one needs to be around an infected person for 15 minutes to catch the virus. Even a checkout clerk probably wouldn't meet that very often. I've read that flat surfaces aren't as dangerous as earlier feared.

I'm getting my second Moderna shot the end of this month. I'm retired so I finally will have time to ride in the summer. Otherwise, I'm at pretty low risk. Church services are online live or as podcasts.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

They seem to work but the manufacturers are questioning for how long. Pfizer is already saying we now need 3.

I have been saying all along, they did not build all this infrastructure for a one time event. Covid shots are going to be an annual or maybe even a semiannual event.

Reply to
gfretwell

But you are very unlikely to be killed or even have a serious medical problem.

You are clearly free to do that. I don?t bother and havent had any flu for decades, quite literally.

I don?t even get the common cold either anymore.

Presumably my immune system works quite well.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Yah, the vaccines are really working great.  That's why the nazicrats are still demanding people wear masks.

Reply to
Pinocchio Psaki

Negative on the covid test. About a month before my son in law had the flu. Not sure if he got the shot or not. He tested negative for the covid.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

No, it's important to wear masks because they stop the airborne particulate matter that can be carrying the deadly Wuhan virus.

Seeing people wearing masks also serves as a visual reminder to the knuckleheads to keep their effin distance. And it prevents them from putting their contaminated hands to their ugly faces.

Reply to
Wade Garrett

I was out riding this weekend in beautiful t-shirt weather. This morning the cat woke me up with some particularly pitiful meowing and scratching at the door. I opened the door and there he was standing in an inch of damn snow.

Reply to
rbowman

I was in short sleeves w/o a jacket yesterday. This morning I saw snow falling mixed with some rain!

Reply to
Muggles