RC driveway gate?

I gotta keep the pup in the yard, so I always stop the car, get out, open the gate, drive through, stop the car, get out, close the gate, drive away everytime I leave the house. It's surprisingly not that big a PITA, but if there were an off-the-shelf remote control swinging or sliding gate available for less than an arm & a leg, I'd surely like to go that route. I looked into it a while back, and the only one I found was a swinging unit at over $700 per side. Definitely out of the budget.

I see these things in commercial uses, but I can't be the only homeowner with this application. Anybody point me to a website or business serving the homeowner market?

TIA, Joe F.

Reply to
rb608

I think that is about it. First there is little market for home use and I would have to believe the construction would be more for one of these than say a garage door opener.

Having said that I have seen some intended for the home market, but I believe they were in that price range.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

You can get sliding ones we have one at work, runs in my mind they spent 3-4 grand on it. When the gate was installed. Try

a google search got 70 000 hits. for gate openers. You will need to be pretty handy and have more than the basic tools to change your gate over to a slider. You may not like the way they look when installed.

Reply to
SQLit

My informal internet research tells me that these RC gates were considered unreliable. When I pave my backyard, I'm just going to remove the fence and not have a gate or fence.

Reply to
Childfree Scott

There are many homeowners that have gate operators for residential use but w/ this type of operator you get what you pay for. There were residential gate operators that use to be on the market for less money then what you quoted but they were built cheap & broke constantly. Some people may spend $1000.00 & some will spend $5000.00+ depending on what options you require.

Gate openers take a little more thought & planning then a garage door opener. For instance if this is your only driveway, how will any visitors like meter readers or friends get through the gate. You can have a keypad on the outside for this, but then how do they get out when they leave. If the gate opener is going to automatically close from a timer then there needs to be protection devices to keep the gate from closing into the side of the vehicle if they stop in the gate path. Also many times the required options would depend on how far the house is from the gate.

I could write a book on all of your choices and have installed & serviced hundreds of these units but if $1400.00 is definitely out of your budget then your best choice is to keep opening the gate manually. You might as well flush your money down the big white commode then to buy inferior units for less money.

Doordoc

Doordoc

Thanks ( & thanks to others as well). I guess I'll kepp doing it the hard way. 'Course I have kids, so I get them to do it most of the time anyway.

Joe F.

Reply to
rb608