Raising gun age to 21 is discrimination

Without it being law, who has the right to not sell a gun to a 20 year old? If you sell to a 25 year old you must sell to a 20 or 19 year old until it becomes law. You can choose to not sell guns at all but what is good for one gay cake is good for a gun, hypocrites.

Reply to
Thomas

I think all the young voters starting at age 18 all vote out of office all the ones who raised the age to 21.

Reply to
redzap78

And the draft age should be raised to 21?

Buying booze to 21?

Posting on this group to 135?

Heh, Mr. T, what's up? Sounds like you have a problem with raising the age to buy guns to 21? What's up with that? Your super hero Dear LEader Trump is behind it. He also:

Told Senator Toomey that the reason Toomey didn't put raising the age to 21 in his bill is because he's afraid of the NRA. Trump says he's not afraid of them.

He called for a law for comprehensive background checks

Said he would ban bump stocks

Said the police should be given the power to remove guns from troubled people like Cruz, with due process later, after the fact.

Asked why new gun laws had not already been passed by now. (Trump, clueless idiot as always). Then blamed Obama for the failure to have already enacted stricter gun control.

So, just wondering, what's up with that? Is Trump just full of BS, running his mouth? Are you down with all that now, since Dear Leader says it's the way to go?

Reply to
trader_4

til it becomes law. You can choose to not sell guns at all but what is good for one gay cake is good for a gun, hypocrites.

e all the ones who raised the age to 21.

Here's a good exchange on gun control this week, Trump in his own words:

Sen. Christopher Murphy, a Connecticut Democrat, told Trump, ?It? ??s going to have to be you that brings the Republicans to the table on this because right now the gun lobby would stop it in its tracks.?

Trump: I like that responsibility, Chris. I really do. I think it? ?s time. It?s time that a president stepped up, and we haven? ??t had them ? and I?m talking Democrat and Republican presidents. They have not stepped up.

Reply to
trader_4

Responding to t4. I do not care if the law changes it to 21 or 50. If not law any 20 year old can buy a gun if they sell it to a 30 year old. Sell to all by legal age or sell to none.

Reply to
Thomas

While that may be what you'd like to see, these are private businesses that have their own rights. Absent any laws that prohibit them from doing as they please, they are free to set up their own rules for what they will sell and to whom. So, what are you proposing? To pass laws to force businesses to sell to all ages? We all know that isn't going to happen. If you don't like what Walmart is doing, shop someplace else.

Reply to
trader_4

I agree, but Thomas did bring up the case of the wedding cake for the gay couple. That is at the Supreme Court and seems to be divided. I have a choice who to buy from and should have the ability to choose who I want to sell to also.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Thank you ed and t4. If i were 20 i would flock to wally to buy a gun and get my 15 min of fame. Im already old with all hunting rifles i will ever need.

Reply to
Thomas

WRONG. If you think its discrimination, then I guess you think refusing to sell alcohol to those under 21 is also discrimination, and the same for selling tobacco to those under 18, or restricting 6 year olds from driving cars.

Personally, I think the age to buy a gun should be raised to ONLY sell to persons over the age of 65. Retired persons are the only people who really need guns to protect themselves. The only exception to that would be for law enforcement officers, or the military.

All 20 year olds are far too violent to own guns in this day and age, and that extends to 30 year olds as well.

Reply to
senior#7822490

His point is that all the above are state laws that *all* sellers follow. It's not one store saying they will only sell tobacco to people over

21 and another saying they will sell it to 15 year olds.

He's raising the interesting point that you could try to make a case that it's denying equal protection under the law, like those that want to force a baker to make a cake for a gay couple. Personally, I favor letting the free market work it out. If I object to the policies at Walmart, I just go shop somewhere else. There are plenty of gun sellers.

A more interesting case is what Georgia just did to Delta Airlines. They rescinded tax breaks because Delta dropped giving discounts to the NRA. I'd say that's a good candidate for a court challenge because it sure sounds like the govt imposing restrictions on freedom of speech and freedom of political opinions. It also shows how stupid and petty some politicians can be. Delta is a big employer, has been very beneficial to Georgia, yet these dummies start screwing with them over who they decide to give discounts to? Funny, I bet those morons claim that they are conservatives too.

There is research that's been done in recent decades that shows that the brain is still not fully developed at 18, particularly the part that forms judgment and sound decision making. So, I think there is probably justification for raising the age.

Reply to
trader_4

Sounds like discrimination to me.  Replace NRA with NAACP.  Would Delta dare?  LOL

Reply to
Emma Wright

What discrimination? Delta is a private company and is free to support or associate with whomever they choose. Whether Delta would withdraw from giving discounts to any other organization isn't relevant. If Delta had a discount for the NAACP and decided not to kill that for whatever reason, that's within their rights too. On the other hand, what Georgia just did, kill tax benefits to Delta because of their free speech, seems like a good issue that should go the courts. IMO, it's the govt using it's powers to punish a company that is simply exercising it's freedom under the constitution.

Reply to
trader_4