Raising and lowering threshold

I know that there are screws that are used to raise and lower/level a threshold under my steel entry door. I don't know, though, how to get the correct movement up or down. I do not notice any perceptible difference in the height of the threshold when I turn these screws either to the left or right. What am I doing wrong?

Reply to
pj
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

Think about it--If you tighten the screws they will pull the threshold down; if you loosen them they will raise the threshold up.

The problem is that grit and grime get between the fixed and movable parts of the threshold and bind them up. The down feature works fine but when you loosen the screws, the threshold won't come up. Try slipping a thin blade like a putty knife under the movable part of the threshold and prying it up gently as you loosen the screws. If the insert is wood, be careful not to gouge it up or you will create a whole new set of problems. If it's really gunked up you may need to remove it completely and brush or vacuum the gunk out of the fixed portion.

Take your time and you can do it; it ain't rocket science.

John

Reply to
John‰]