Raindrops creating electricity?

The best way to make power is PV solar panels and lead acid batteries. I can make power 10 times cheaper than I can buy it off the grid. And don't even think about not using batteries and selling it to the grid, they give you way less than they sell it for.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

So why haven't you gone completely off grid? Or, is it a case that it's only 10 times cheaper if you ignore the initial cost of the solar panels, battery, inverter and the ongoing cost of back-up for when the sun doesn't shine long enough during the day.

Reply to
alan_m

On a sunny day (Sat, 01 Jul 2023 12:13:07 +0100) it happened "Commander Kinsey" snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote in <op.17ehf5upmvhs6z@ryzen>:

I you used a 1 to 10 standard audio transformer in reverse perhaps there would be enough voltage to flash a LED if a drop hits the cone.

All that said I just look at the 'rain radar' here, this morning showed the last shower of today leaving and I started work in the garden...

Jan Panteltje

There might be an impedance mismatch charging the battery.

There is a battery that consists of a beta emitter coated rod inside a metal tube. It develops hundreds of kilovolts at low current, and the problem has always been, aside from the radioactive hazard, how to convert that down to something useful.

Reply to
John Larkin

There is no AC involved.

Reply to
jon

I've never heard that term applied to DC and don't know what you mean. I only understand it for audio amplifiers.

Can't be that hard, we convert voltages all the time.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

The Maximum Power Transfer theorem works for AC or DC.

Please sketch up a 5 volt power supply with a 400KV input.

Reply to
John Larkin

"Commander Kinsey" snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote in news:op.17ehayehmvhs6z@ryzen:

low and brief enough not to melt it?

violently explode when it lost a cell and became a 10V battery, sucking a huge amount of current from the rest. I wasn't at home at the time, but came back to a very strong smell in the driveway and thought there was a dead animal somewhere. I later found a battery missing from the shelf in the garage, and found pieces scattered everywhere.

As my kids would say, "LOL".

Reply to
Boris

Two series resistors in the right ratio ? :)

Reply to
alan_m

Or four hundred.

Reply to
John Larkin

It makes sense for an amp, but not for raw power. For example, there's 240V at that socket there, with virtually no resistance. If I connect a resistive heater to it to it to draw power, I get all the power as usable heat pretty much, even though the resistance of the heating element is vastly more than the supply. What if I connected a f****ng big element to it, such that it's resistance was equal to the supply line? Half the power would be dissipated in the supply line. I'd drop from 99.9% to 50% efficiency.

Just take a normal one but moreso. Do you really think it's much harder to convert 50V to 5V than 10V to 5V?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Yes, that's one implication of the theorem. You could really conjugate match your AC line for a cycle or two and get a lot of power before the breaker trips.

People don't impedance match audio amps either. "Damping factor" is one of those quaint terms that audiodudes use to express the mismatch. A good power amp has milliohms of output impedance.

A "600 ohm" audio output is usually much less.

RF types use 'S11' and 'S22' to express matching. A horrible mismatch sounds better expressed in dB.

My NMR gradient amps were very good current sources, which is why they worked better than hacked audio amps.

Yes, fewer switcher chips are available at 50 volts. I'm doing a bunch of designs now with +48 in and chips are relatively rare and sometimes weird.

But I specified 400 KV. Give it a shot.

Reply to
John Larkin

On a sunny day (Sun, 02 Jul 2023 07:22:54 -0700) it happened John Larkin snipped-for-privacy@highlandSNIPMEtechnology.com wrote in snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Is done all the time China now even has a 1.1 MV DC power line. to normal AC, then your Meanwell can do the rest to +5

order from China :-)

Some use optical controlled solid state switch modules in series.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

What is a breaker? Is that a modern version of a fuse? :-)

I'm sure I was told you do to get the most power out. I guess that's only true for rubbish amps with a high resistance, where connected low ohm speakers to it gets less power out by dropping the voltage. IF you impedance matched a milliohm amp, you'd get more current than it was capable of producing and break it.

A little coil?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I notice they only use DC when it's longer lines. Presumably it costs more than AC, so they only use it when AC wouldn't travel far enough.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I have a rain radar. Stand in the middle of the garden, rotate, observe clouds.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

On a sunny day (Mon, 03 Jul 2023 00:35:16 +0100) it happened "Commander Kinsey" snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote in <op.17hag2famvhs6z@ryzen>:

Yes AC has all sorts of problems over long distances, inductance for example.

Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Mon, 03 Jul 2023 03:05:15 +0100) it happened "Commander Kinsey" snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote in <op.17hhe1wdmvhs6z@ryzen>:

May work if little wind, we have 5 Bft here now, so one hour may make a lot of difference as rain clouds come in that you did not see. Just after you got all the garden tools out... I also use rain radar if I want to go biking. It is also hard to tell from just vision if far away clouds bring rain or not.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

You just shake the money-tree, and PV solar panels fall out, right ?

On your way home, pick up one of these and you won't need lead acid batteries. This is the home-owner version of the "ten day battery" :-)

The cars around that trailer, cost extra.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

I use

Beware it has a nasty habit of starting with the forecast for right now, not the last actual radar.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris