Creating molding from....what goop?

I'm remounting a basement window whose glass was broken recently. The window hinges at the top and swings inward toward the cellar, and the top & two sides of the window butt up against the wood frame when closed. However, the bottom butts up against nothing. Under that bottom edge is cement or cinder block. The previous owner created what looks like toe molding using some sort of stuff that's crumbling now. I could buy toe molding and paint the bejezus out of it so it stands up to rain & snow, but I'd rather not drill into the cement to attach it. So, I'm thinking of covering that bottom edge of the window with waxed paper temporarily (so goop won't stick while curing) and creating "molding" using some sort of goop....but what kind? Let's assume that I can scrub the cement surface in any way necessary so whatever compound I use will adhere nicely.

What's the goop?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Doug wrote:>I'm remounting a basement window whose glass was broken recently. The window

I'd use Trex, or some other tough composite material. Tom Work at your leisure!

Reply to
Tom

Automotive body filler ("Bondo"), available at any auto parts store, or in the auto department at Wal-Mart, K-Mart, and so forth. Most hardware stores will have it as well.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Why not clean off the sill area down to the cinder block, wrap the window in polyethelene film, close the window and use regular mason mix mortar to build up a sill? Should be cheap. easy to form and durable. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

Hmm. That's an interesting variation. It's funny....last time I was at the hardware store, I remembered that I didn't have any of those wood-handled brass brushes - the kind that look like a toothbrush on steroids and come in handy when you least expect it. I bought 6 of them. Here go one or two of them. They should do a nice job of cleaning the cinder block and maybe even etching it a bit for better adhesion. And, the windows are already wrapped in plastic to keep dew & rain off while the putty cures.

Reply to
Doug Kanter