rain gutters dirty

I have those white aluminum gutters but they have become quite dirty.. they dont clean up very well. Am I better off just to paint over them?

Reply to
John H.

My painter convinced me to do that about 6 years ago. It worked very well, at least so far. I was worried that it might peel, but it hasn't at all. So, I guess if you do it right, it works!

Reply to
trader4

Try cleaning with mineral spirits. Though, white aluminum gutters often hold stains. If you paint, latex is self-priming on the gutters, just needs a good cleaning first, which you'll have already done if you try cleaning with mineral spirits :-).

Reply to
Luke

I'd give one more try with a strong cleaner first. If that does not work, you can paint them and yes, it will be a durable as any house paint and eventually have to be re-done.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

x-no-archive: yes

Yes, powerwash them and then paint. About 10 years ago, I did this to mine and I need to do this again. I can't remember the paint I used. But it stood up well. I used a "whiz" roller to put the paint and it was quick, simple and fast using an extension handle on the roller, I did it all from the ground, no ladders.

Reply to
.

GO to the hardware store and buy some Aluminum Siding cleaner. Works like a champ. On tough spots spray on full strength. Wear gloves and don't let it drip down your elbows.

Reply to
Jmagerl

I've used straight Clorox which works well. It may not look like it's working but they get brighter in a few hours.

Reply to
Dan Espen