Rain Gutter Questions ?

Hello:

About to ask a few contractors over for quotes on adding rain gutters to house. House is a typical split level outside of Boston.

Know nothing about rain gutters.

What questions should I ask ?

Are there different "quality levels" ? e.g., Aluminum thickness, etc. ?

Is there a consensous as to the best brand(s) ?

Also, is there a best method of fastening the gutters with a particular type of hardware that I should be requesting ?

Any thoughts on would be most appreciated.

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Robert11

Know nothing about rain gutters.

What questions should I ask ?

Are there different "quality levels" ? e.g., Aluminum thickness, etc. ?

Is there a consensous as to the best brand(s) ?

Also, is there a best method of fastening the gutters with a particular

type of hardware that I should be requesting ?

Just be sure to get continuous or seamless gutters, as you don't want to end up climbing a ladder often to apply sealant to all the joints. As to fastening the gutter to the fascia, I'd recommend that the more fasteners used, the less you'll have to worry about them. I like the hidden type that attach to the inside of the gutter lip, and are fastened with a screw into the fascia.

Reply to
tom

They are almost commodity items - same material, construction, price. You may end up choosing over collateral matters: payment terms or quality of installation. On the latter, ask for references.

You might inquire as to leaf protection and play the cost and recommendation against what it takes to clean the suckers (next week, next year, next decade), because clean them out you will.

Reply to
HeyBub