Will be contacting a few local contractors in the area to put in a new
Service Box for us, as our present one is about 30 years old. Present
capacity is 100 amps; imagine 150 or 200 would be adequate. I have 2
central A/C's, though, in house (the split type with the condensers outside)
Before I do, would like to learn a bit more about what is involved.
I guess my main questions are:
- What do I want to ask him ?
- What do I want to be sure to get ?
- GFCI's and ArcFault breakers (good idea; for where ?)
- whole house Surge Protector ? What brand and type ?
- Brands, and which to avoid ?
Wandering around HD, it seems that a new 200 amp box, loaded up, should be
no more than about $250.
Think I can get a "good" installation for $1,000 or so ? (Boston area)
Any thoughts on what to be sure to discuss with him would be most