Fridge Question

I have a GE side x side Fridge/Freezer- Don't know how old - we bought it from the previous homeowner when we bought the house

6 years ago (I'm figuring at least 10 - 12 years old). The freezer section is fine, but the fridge is definately not as cold as it should be - Can't give you a temp reading, but Milk/meats are not lasting as long as they should. The house does have Central Air and is comfortable whenever we're home. Is it worth getting repaired ? Thanks.
Reply to
JayD

So turn it colder... or do you already have it on the coldest setting?

Reply to
Dano

Just went through similar situation (see header "Refrigerator only partially cooling" 7/27 for some posted suggestions. We had a guy come out to fix ours and the first thing he did was pull a tray out of the freezer side which revealed a wall of ice on the back of that compartment.

Translation: Two parts that controls the auto defrost were not working. One was called (def limiter) the other (def control). 142.00 parts,

82.00 labor. Good luck.
Reply to
F. H.

Yes, it's already @ coldest setting

Reply to
JayD

Good post F.H., that is a typical problem.

Also, check to see if the condenser fan is blowing air and that the condenser coils are clean.

Additionally, push the door button down so you can check if the evaporator fan is running & moving air. - udarrell

Reply to
udarrell

Turning a refrig colder is like pushing the accelerator on a car. If the unit is working, you get more action. If it's out of gas, you don't get no satisfaction.

1) Vaccum the dust from the coils under or behind the fridge. 2) Open fridge door and ch eck for air flow coming from the freezer side 3) Go around back, and see if compressor and fan are both running

Let us know what you find.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Set both knobs in the middle of the range. If you crank em both up to highest, you get a cold freezer, and warm fridge. Adjust one letter or number per 24 hour day.

Vacuum dust from below, and behind fridge. Check for frozen (someone else mentioned opening the back of the freezer section).

If it's cooling at all, it's probably worth fixing.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Buy a new unit you might save 66% on electrical usage,. and wait till the bills go up..

Reply to
m Ransley

Ok.... we decided to go ahead and get a new fridge. Went to our local "Appliance Superstore" and got a good price on a GE

23cu ft Side X side for < $1k

What&#39;s the rep for GE fridges these days ? I&#39;m a little concerned about how all the controls are push button.

What&#39;s the deal with extended warranties? With all the electronic controls on this thing, I can&#39;t imagine it going 10 years without something breaking. We plan on keeping this till it drops - Is an extended warranty worth it for something like this? (I know the general consensus is they&#39;re a ripoff, but I can see how 1 service call on this thing can be a few hundred bucks)

Reply to
JayD

So, so quality. IMO, there are better brands.

Very profitable if you are selling them. Find ot what it costs, put hte moneyin the bank, come out way ahead over the years.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski