raccoon repellant bogus or for real

We have a whole family on a large canopy over our indoor/outdoor school area many nights. I am afraid they may damage the $7000 canopy- or who knows what.

I see odor repellants and sonic repellants advertised. Anybody know if they work - or of anything that does work?

Thanks,

Mike

Reply to
FacilityFred

I have had a few confrontation with coons myself. Firstly, secure your garbage and encourage your neighbors to do so. It is usually the source of the problem. To further discourage them, I like to use a garden hose with a spray end. Use it like a water cannon and blast them with it. They will be unlikely to return. I have also tried live traps but only caught the neighborhood cats.

Reply to
Lawrence

I have been battling raccoons who raid my cat and dog food in the middle of the night. One night I caught one trying to drag a big plastic bag of bagels through the cat door and chased him around the house with a broom. He had broken a messy leftover plate I hadn't put in the dishwasher, and dumped my kitchen garbage pail, and washed their hands in the dog waterer. After chasing them around with a broom, and they still came back, I got ready with a big stick and a spray bottle of ammonia -- and they sent in a baby that is still sleeping in my laundry room. It looked up at me with those big eyes, and I felt guilty and put down my weapons. I've locked up all available food, and decided that is the best approach. I had to wire shut a cabinet (they ate a store-bought pie crust and such), and put a child lock on the refrigerator and get a tight lid for the garbage can, and moved the dog and cat food and water to my bedroom. The dog is too old (13, deaf, blind in one eye) to go after them, and the cats want no part of it, either. The raccoons still found something, there was a chewed-open box on the steps to the basement, but they are getting desperate, scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Reply to
Bert Byfield

Where I live we just shoot them. End of problem.

Bob

Reply to
RobertM

The best way is to buy a Ruger 10-22 rifle. or You can spray ammonia around the area. Ammonia is cheap, a gallon costs less that $3.00 at WalMart. It works well for almost all these types of critters including bears. I put my garbage out at night in a plastic bag (and I live in the woods) spray it with ammonia and I never had the bag ripped open in in 10 years. My neighbors have their garbage attacked on a weekly basis. Another hint is to install an electric fence.

RobertM wrote:

Reply to
chuckster

The advantage of shooting them is that they make a tasty meal.

Bob

Reply to
RobertM

Aren't racoons prone to rabies infections?

Reply to
Eigenvector

There is your problem; get rid of the cat door

Reply to
Nick Hull

Not cooked ones.

Bob

Reply to
RobertM

Then how do the cats get in and out? No, the answer is to lock up the food, including garbage. No food, no rodents.

Reply to
Bert Byfield

The cat will have to wait to be let out by it's owner.I believe raccoons are able to open cabinet doors.

Bonnie

Reply to
rosebud

-snip-

How about this $200 door that your pet carries the key to;

Jim [I've always wondered about pet doors and stray critters, but this is actually the first time I've heard of anyone having trouble with one.]

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

You are correct about the raccoons opening cabinet doors, but I have mine wired shut at night. Raccoons can't use metal cutters. ;-)

Reply to
Bert Byfield