Questions on replacing a home well water pressure tank.

It is time to replace the 1988 vintage well pressure tank at my home. The bladder is no longer doing its job. As a homeowner for the past 30+ years I've done alot of plumbing work, including adding a 3 zone of baseboard heat to a previous home.

Are the pressure tanks available at the big box stores worth the money or should I look to a plumbing supply shop?

Can I salvage the old brass T with the pressure gauge and well control relay/switch from the old installation or am I better off going for all new?

Any other gotcha's I can expect doing this repair?

Thanks, Steve

Reply to
Steve Stone

I got mine when it was on sale at a "farm and fleet" type of store. I did the math (no. of faucets, bathrooms, clothes and dishwasher) and went with the next larger size. Resized the copper to the old union...done.

Reply to
bob_villa

I've not rep;laced one, but I did have the one at work replaced. Well guy recommends replacing the controls too as too often he is back in a few weeks to replace them. Given the age, I'd get new.

You may find the local plumbing supply to be about hte same price for equal or better products.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

On Thu, 23 Jul 2015 11:58:41 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote in

+1
Reply to
CRNG

Some of the pressure tanks are made so the bladder can be replaced, but the bladders can't be found.

As you obviously know, the life of the bladder can be extended if you keep the air pressure in the tank (between the bladder and the steel)at the reco mmended pressure. That keeps the bladder from over-stretching with water. I check mine 2-3x a year. My current tank was guaranteed for 5 years and i t's still good after 18.

Reply to
RedAlt5