Low water pressure from Well

I just purchased a 25 year old vacation home and the water pressure is low. Takes forever to fill the wash machine and the showers have some little special nozzle that does not help much. Being used to city water I thought this was normal for the area but it turns out to be less pressure than the neightbors. Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks

Reply to
huffduff

There should be pressure gauge at the storage tank. See what pressure it turns off at and adjust the pressure switch to a pressure you like.( Caution when opening the pressure switch cover, those terminals are live)

Reply to
RBM

We need a lot more information! Submersible pump? Pressure settings = cut-in and cut-out? Blowing air through water pipes? Size of water pipes? Check for plugged aerators? - udarrell

Reply to
udarrell

There might not be much you can do about it, at least not inexpensively, but that last one is easy enough.

I thought my cottage's water pressure was horrible, and was planning all sorts of fixes. Then I thought to check the aerators. They were all full of debris. Water pressure is still low, but much better.

Reply to
toller

And I found a whole house water filter in the water line that I hadn't realized was there. After a couple of years of no service on it, the filter was almost totally plugged. Was in a basement that isn't much more than a deep crawl space so I didn't go down there much. Tom

Reply to
Tom

Hi,

I have somewhat the same concern. I am not 100% sure on the following but take it as a starting point. I have a submersible pump in my well with a water line to a pressure tank. My understanding is the pressure tank has a lot to do with the water pressure (and volume). I was going to call the contractor that installed my submersible pump and find out how much pressure the pump can drive. The pressure tank has adjustable cut in and cut off for starting and stopping the pump. The pressure tank also has an air bladder in it that has a certain amount of air pressure in it relative to cut in and cut out pressure. There could and should be a pressure gauge on the line that shows current pressure. Possible concerns could be undersized pump, insufficient amount of water at the pump, an undersized pressure tank, undersized plumbing and probably others. I think I have about a 20 gallon pressure tank for a three bedroom, 2 ½ bath, spa and laundry area. My daughter?s vacation home has about a 60 gallon pressure tank. I plan on replacing my pressure gauge so I know exactly what my pressure is as a starting point and going from there. You might ask your neighbors what their tanks are set at.

Good luck

Reply to
ShakyMark

I just purchased a 25 year old vacation home and the water pressure is low. ....

Just got my pressure gauge installed and found my pressure switch is set to 30psi cut in and 50psi cut out. I will be trying to change it to 40 and 60.

ShakyMark

Reply to
ShakyMark