Question regarding stripping cedar garage doors

First off, many appologies if this is a topic that get frequent mention in this newsgroup. I have lurked here for a while and have not seen any similar questions, so here goes:

Our home, built new for us in 1988, has cedar garage doors. These are the type of doors that have something like 5 rows of panels with 3 panels in each row. These doors face East and hence get a good dose of the sun's rays every day. And, of course, they have subsequently turned black at the bottom of the doors with diminishing amounts of darkness as you work toward the top row of the doors. I really did not nitice how much they had turned black until I was looking at some video tape of the house when it was new. These doors were beautiful.

The question is: is there a way for a homeowner who does not have a pressure washer to strip and possible bleach (or however you would remove the dark cedar colour) the panels to restore the doors to something close to their original beauty. A pressure washer could be rented if necessary, as this is a problem that really does need to be addressed once summer returns to beautiful Manitoba.

Thanks very much for your assistance...

Regards,

Doug

Reply to