Question on mixing gas / oil for string trimmer

Hi there-

I need some good advice. I finally burnt out the motor on my old electric string trimmer. So I went out and bought a gas powered model, oil & a one gallon can. I stopped at a gas station to mix the oil & gas but ended up spilling maybe half the oil down the side of the can. I then filled the container about 2/3 full of gas, hoping that the 'mix' would be 'about right.'

How 'exact' should the mix be? I really don't want to F.U. this new machine. If I should start over, what can I use this old fuel for? Mix it into the cars tank? The lawn mowers tank??

Thanks,

--Phil Marshall-- {Remove #9 to reply}

Reply to
Marshall

Start over! Go to a store that sells chain saws and buy a six-pack of little 2-cycle oil bottles. Read the instructions on a bottle. Mine say "mix with gasoline, ratio 50 to 1."

This is most easily done using a two and one-half gallon container. You fill the container half full of gas, add the entire little bottle of oil, shake, add the rest of the gas, shake again, and go.

I buy my gas in a 5 gal. container and use it as the source for the mixture.

As for the 'mix' you already have (it's less than a gallon, right?), just add it to your automobile's tank.

--JWW

Reply to
John W. Wells

put it in your mower........ 2 stroke needs proper lubrication..... in car its ng for cat converter......EPA regs for less pollution dont care about WEAR on motor .......Use 1 can lawnboy oil to RECOMENED gas.amount your eqip will last.... EPA regs screw new 2 stroke equipment

Reply to
mark Ransley

Dunno if you're joking, but certainly the manual tells you *exactly* what the ratio should be. Probably either 50:1 or 32:1. Don't guess.

Consensus seems to be that it's fine to burn off the old stuff in the car - preferably an older one with an old carb. Put it in when you're filling up and the ratio of oil to gas will be tiny.

Reply to
ctrl-z

OK. Thanks everyone. I'll use the 'mixed' gas in the lawn mower. I did buy the 2 stroke oil in those small 2.6oz bottles. I'll be a lot more carefull next time when I mix the stuff ;)))

Reply to
Marshall

Reply to
MSgeek

Start over again. Put 1/2 gallon gas in the can, add the 50:1 oil, and pump in another 1/2 gallon. Make sure the oil is name brand like Echo, Stihl or Husqvarna. Use premium fuel.

(If you want a superior 2 cycle oil than use Mobil MX2T and mix it

32:1. I prefer my mix with a tad more oil as do the 2 cycle pros.)

After a season, dump the old mix in your car/truck that has a full tank of gas. It'll be such a dilute ratio it'll be just fine.

Reply to
davefr