queries

Doing the 2nd coat of Minwax Polyshades "Honey Pine" I discovered there was *lots* of dark dark sooty stuff in the can. Looks like a batch mixup to me.

The liquid in the can of Klean-Strip Mineral Spirits was clear. That in the bigger plastic tote bottle of Klean-Strip Mineral Spirits is milky. It seems to be cleaning the brush off fine though.

I'm not sure if I can use the dark polyurethane to cover some blank floor spots (that were missed a while back NOT by me)

FYI the General Coatings* enamel paint says "ready to use, no thinning needed" but it needed it.

  • I think that's the brand. The paint is covering a lot of the label.
Reply to
cycjec

No, you just didn't have it stirred up well to begin with (or let it settle out)...

--

Reply to
dpb

cycjec wrote: (questions about Minwax and Klean-Strip spirits)

Well, look at that.

Wouldn't that have made a useful subject line?

Subject: Questions about Minwax and Klean-Strip spirits

Why is it that formulating useful subject lines for usenet posts and e-mails is a lost art?

Reply to
Home Guy

You are probably right, thanks.

I did read the directions. It didn't say to stir it. Nor did the book that I have. I tried the stirred up stuff on a test board. It's tolerable. I guess I wanted no-stain polyurethant

Reply to
cycjec

Sorry, really.

Maybe it's all those cryptic one-off blog post titles. I read them but I don't blog myself.

Also I realize I've gotten into the habit with some correspondents of using really vague e-mail Subject headers, for reasons that are too long to go into here.

Reply to
cycjec

I tried the stained poly myself once. It was ok but I didn't use it again. I prefer to control my stain coat to get the desired results and then seal with clear.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

I manage the mail server at my $dayjob, so I get to see the full headers of all the direct-to-mx spam that our domain gets before it's forwarded through Gmail to be filtered and forwarded back to us (a neat little spam-filtering trick).

I see lots of spam mail that has subjects like "Important" or "Please read" or "Question", and I just shake my head when people use those same words and phrases for legit e-mail.

Reply to
Home Guy

Dear Whatever:

I notice you have taken to task a writer about whether or not a post is on topic, is spelled correctly, or is correct in some other minute detail.

I would like to inform you that the post of Netnanny is already filled. It is held by Newton Fillmore, of Pacoima, California, although Mr. Fillmore is currently in a coma in a facility in Riverside, and has been for three years, eight months now. We just could not bring ourselves to demote him without a proper hearing and him being present.

Please be advised that there are currently over 500 applicants and wannabes for the position. That does not include people like yourself who have broken with protocol and currently act like they are in the cherished position.

If and when and if ever the post becomes available, you will be required to write an essay of no longer than 1500 words, single spaced, using the words there, they're, their, your, you're, and any others you can come up with in as many incorrect grammatical situations as possible.

You must also describe the difference between "lose" and "loose" in 25 words or less.

You must also include the reason that you think entitles you the lifelong right to hold this post, and review the rest of humanity on its daily heretofore unobserved unsupervised act of Usenet Posting.

Steve

3rd Poohbah and Grand Mucky Muck of the Society of Netnannies.

Addended by hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net 4/19/2011

You forgot three of my favorites, its and it's, lightning and lightening, and to, too and two

Reply to
Steve B

Beats me!

Maybe I'll stop traveling and go out and get a proper newsreader so I can investigate the phenomenon. ;)

RicodJour

Heck, you guys have me beat. I thought we were going to argue Don't Ask, Don't Tell.

Reply to
Thomas

I don't believe I've ever made it an issue here or pointed out when a post is off-topic,

nor that

And I notice how you escalate an issue by using hyperbole and exaggeration.

The OP himself admits that his subject line could have (or even should have) been better.

I hope you enjoy being satisfied by mediocrity and the status quo.

Pointing out when things can be done better, improved, is no crime.

Reply to
Home Guy

Yes, your Highness..............

Reply to
Steve B

It's not a lost art. Most obscure subject headings are designed that way. Partly to excite the curiosity of the reader but mostly to cause the heads of pedantic fuddy-duddies to explode.

Reply to
HeyBub

Blame google , those nitwits use header and text area as a running discussion area, like they are twittering or something.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry