Push button for garage door opener

For what it's worth, my liftmaster has an "intelligent" button. It connects with just 2 wires that power it and it sends signals back down the two wires on top of the power to the controller to raise and lower the door, to lock the door, and to activate the light. So no ordinary push button is going to work on mine. Just saying there are others out there.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

Hmmm, Joking, right? If not you are an idiot!

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Ya, riiightt. You can test that theory by disconnect the wires at the switch and touching them together. Prepare to be embarrassed.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Nope. Not joking. Has a circuit board in it with parts on it. I suspect the reason was so that it could do several things with just 2 wires. That way people that have just 2 conductors buried in the wall can have more features. Wire is polarized (red and white) and the connections on the button are polarized as well.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

I agree. I have a Genie that has the traditional start/stop button plus a light on/off button (that doesn't move the door) plus a lock slide switch that prevents the radio receiver from working. All with just two wires. I assume it uses resistors to differentiate between the controls rather than a fancy digital system, but who knows - with cheap pic-type microprocessors available, they could have done it many different ways.

Reply to
greenpjs

No, there actually ARE 2 wire coded controllers available that can do more than one thing. The newer ones are digital multiplex, the older ones wer analog - different resistance for different functions - just like the cruise control switch on a lot of '70s era cars.

Reply to
clare

Wow, can't believe I found this post. I have the same problem and my garag e door company, 12 years later, tells me they have no idea what the switch is. I can't find a single electrical shop that has a similar push button, which looks like a simple bell, nor security company, nor ebay. I've tried two (lighted) bells with no luck but cant even find one without to try at the moment.

Reply to
6789daniels

Amazon has almost everything!

Juan Doe

What post?

What problem?

What switch?

What would make it similar?

The switch looks like a bell? What kind of bell does it look like?

You have two lighted bells? Where in a bell does the light come from? Do the bells ring?

Without what?

One of the worst posts I've ever read here.

If you mean without a light, if you want a swtich without a light, take the swtich you have and disconnect the light. Cut one of the wires to it if you have to. Better yet, leave the swtich alone and take the two wires from the house that are meant to go to the switch, and touch the uninsulated part of one of them to the other. What happens?

Why do you think the switch is the problem?

Reply to
micky

I think yours' come out of left field, occasionally! Did you look at the OP 1st? I don't feel compelled to respond to someone that finds an old post yrs old...let them start a new one if they need help. IMHO

Reply to
bob_villa

LMFAO never laughed so much! Yes you need a momentary or Normally Open Contact Switch (preferably without the bell)!

Reply to
paulpdiddyice

Reply to
djwalkman
[snip]

Does it go down when you push the button a third time? That's what would happen with a toggle (push on/push off) button. You need a momentary contact button.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I use a plain old doorbell button. You don't want a switch that goes off and on.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

i had a rental home, with similiar issues.

the outdoor key switch had all sorts of issues.

bought a remote control touchpad. worked so awesome i installed it at other locations

Reply to
bob haller

One with no light or diode

Reply to
clare

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com posted for all of us...

Ham radio, kit building, plumbing, copper artist...

Reply to
Tekkie®

Oren posted for all of us...

Yeah.