Puddle in front of fridge (not from the dog)

My GE Side-by-Side fridge drops a puddle of water every few days, sometime during the night. It's about 3 years old and this behavior started a few months ago. It seems to be getting worse now - more frequent and more water. I suspect it has something to do with the door ice and water dispenser, but I can't really tell. Any suggestions?

Reply to
paulaner

It could be a blocked drain tube for the defrost cycle.

I had a fridge where the feezer end of the tube would get blocked with ice and the defrost water wouldn't drain.

Well, it would drain, just not down into the pan where it could evaporate. It would leak down the back of the fridge and puddle out in front.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Kick the dog anyway.

od

Reply to
olddog

paulaner wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You need to locate the source as you already know. Remove the front kickplate. Get on your belly with a flashlight. If there's a puddle and you can't really tell where it's coming from then dry the floor totally. Periodically check a couple/few times a day to see if a wet spot is showing up. Remember, where it's dropping to the floor may be different than the source since the water may be following some part of the frig frame or other part.

Reply to
Red Green

No no no:

"Control your anger like a monkey in a pinyata. Hiding behind the candy, hoping that the children will not break through with the stick!"

od

Reply to
olddog

It could be a blocked drain tube for the defrost cycle.

I had a fridge where the feezer end of the tube would get blocked with ice and the defrost water wouldn't drain.

Well, it would drain, just not down into the pan where it could evaporate. It would leak down the back of the fridge and puddle out in front.

I have the same problem. I think the drain freezes up. Sears repair guy uses a squeeze bottle with hot tap water to melt the ice. I pay him and it freezes up again...and again. Did you find a longer fix? If so, please share it with me. Thanks, Dick

Reply to
Dick Keats

re: "Did you find a longer fix? If so, please share it with me. "

Sure...I bought a new fridge.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Is the door closing/sealing good. This happened with mine when my daughter got old enough to open the fridge. She often wouldnt close the door all the way . I tlted the unit slightly where th door would close on its own, no more problem. Well a little problem, my wife didnt like having the door trying to close on her.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

Oh, I've only got the beta version. You must have the paid version?

Your armpits are so salty that even Mr. Whipple would not clean them with Charmin.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

We had a similar problem with our much older GE...wish I could remember what part(s) were replaced....defrost timer? defrost t-stat? When the repairman took out the back panel from the freezer, it was loaded with frost.

Reply to
norminn

Keep an eye on your wife.

Reply to
Hipupchuck

re: "Did you find a longer fix? If so, please share it with me. "

Sure...I bought a new fridge.

Gee, thanks. But not the kind of answer I was hoping for. Can't afford a new fridge...just looking for a way to keep the drain hole open. Dick

Reply to
Dick Keats