Pruning trees in the winter

I would like to use some time during the cold months to do some pruning as time is available. I live in central Indiana. Is there any problem with this?

Reply to
jb

I've heard numerous comments about this,

Seems to sum it up nicely. Basically tree branches can break at any time of the year so cutting off limbs in an of itself won't hurt the tree - but you have to ponder what the pruning is for .

My own state's department of ecology also indicates that painting the affected part doesn't help and letting it heal naturally works just fine. But again, I'd start surfing Google for more input.

Reply to
Eigenvector

If it were me I'd wait until late winter/early spring. That's when the tree/shrub will be starting to grow again and will be able to heal the cuts. I suggest asking the folks in Rec.Gardens before doing any cutting. If possible tell them what species of tree or shrub. But, I always wait until early spring before doing any prunning.

-Felder

Reply to
Felder

The ideal time varies with the area and the type of tree. You can contact your local county extension service (US government) or what ever it may be called in other countries. They can give you good local information.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

is the info that I go by, lots of useful info here

Reply to
oo Mike oo

My uncle Schlomo tought me that the best time for pruning was anytime the tools were sharp.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia