Protection of Solid Oak Exterior Doors

Hi,

I have some large solid oak doors as the entrance door to my property. The doors are therefore open to the elements and they get a lot of sunlight.

Because of the amount of sunlight, the old protective coating began peeling and so I have now stripped the doors but don't know what the best product to put on them is...some suggest Varathane, some varnish, etc....

Can anyone please help with advice???

Many Thanks

Tom

Reply to
Disco

A good brand of Spar varnish will do as it remains more flexible than regular interior coatings. I've had good results with Minwax Helmsman. It has UV inhibitors.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

As noted a top quality spar varnish is the stuff. Go to a real boat store and get the best they have.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

The best product I have used is Pratt & Lambert marine varnish apx 80$ a gallon,It is still on many doors I redid 20 yrs ago, maybe 20 doors. But now you must remove the oxidised wood to really make it last, but your door I cant see its condition. Any marine varnish will be better than other products.

Reply to
m Ransley

The _right_ stuff is a two component marine-grade clear polyurethane.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Reply to
Jeff

The _right_ stuff is a two component marine-grade clear polyurethane.

Their system involves an epoxy sealer that soaks into the wood, followed by a 2 part clear polyurethane with heavy UV protection

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

The _right_ stuff is a two component marine-grade clear polyurethane.

Their system involves an epoxy sealer that soaks into the wood, followed by a 2 part clear polyurethane with heavy UV protection

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

I was thinking more in terms of Awlbrite Plus, 2-part Epifanes, Interlux Perfection, or the like.

Reply to
J. Clarke