Oak veneered doors

Hi all. oak veneered front doors? If one was fitted on my house it would be fully exposed to the elements. Are these oak veneered doors up to this kind of punishment?

Thanks.

Arthur

Reply to
51

It would probably depend on the exposure and how well the door was maintained.

Why not just get the real thing? They demonstrably last hundreds of years.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Courtesy of my fav ebay seller, I have a lot of oak timber. But I'm fairly sure its red oak. Is this suitable for a front door in my situation?

Arthur

Reply to
51

Try taking a piece to a local joinery firm with experience in making doors and ask them.

Reply to
Andy Hall

NO veneer is really up to outdoor conditions

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yup. Red oak is just another species of oak.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No

Reply to
Handy

Of course it is. Red oak is white oak without the white. Just call it oak and start looking for door designs.

For best effect, plane a spot on a couple of faces to see if you have that mother of pearl effect. If so, the oak has been quarter sawn. Use that mother of pearl effect on the faces of the rails and panels.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

A hint on solid oak doors used outside.

Whatever the saw direction, expect and design for CONSIDERABLE movement. I have professionally made doors, and they design incorporates a massive pegged frame, and panels slotted in - tongued and grooved..these are not glued or screwed in any way.

Once built, put a massive amount of stain and sealer on them. They really take a pounding in sunlight and driving rain.

Note that American RED oak is in fact a separate species of oak..however..from Wikipedia.. ....... Oaks are hardwood trees, and the wood is commonly used in furniture and flooring. Oak wood has a density of about 0.75 g/cm3.

The bark of Quercus suber, or Cork oak, is used to produce wine stoppers (corks). This species grows in the Mediterranean Sea region, with Portugal, Spain, Algeria and Morocco producing most of the world's supply. Some European and American oak species are used to make barrels where wine and other spirits are aged; the barrels, which are in some cases charred before use, contribute to the taste, aroma, and color of the contents.

Of the North American oaks, the Northern red oak Quercus rubra is the most prized of the red oak group for lumber, all of which is marketed as red oak regardless of the species of origin. The standard for the lumber of the white oak group, all of which is marketed as white oak, is the White Oak Quercus alba. White Oak is often used to make wine barrels. The wood of Pedunculate Oak Quercus robur and Sessile Oak Quercus petraea are extensively used in Europe.

The bark of the White Oak is dried and used in medical preparations. Oak bark is also rich in tannin, and is used by tanners for tanning leather. Acorns are used for making flour or roasted for acorn coffee.

Japanese oak is used in the making of professional drums from manufacturer Yamaha Drums. The rough, hard surface of oak gives the drum a brighter and louder tone compared to traditional drum materials such as maple and birch.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher