Pros and cons of SW Duration Paint

Anyone have any opinion on Sherman Williams Duration paint? I had a contractor paint my house with it last summer and it is peeling real badly all over. He is claiming it is a moisture problembut we have been in this house 25 years and hadd the house painted with Sheman Williams (not Duration) twice in that period with no problems. Averaging about 12 years b]er paint job. Now the house it worse then it was before the Durations was put on. Anyone have any opinions on this? Is the paint finicky or something?

Reply to
Randd01

Unless you've developed a moisture problem recently, it sure sounds like a poor prep job by the painter.

If he's claiming moisture, why did he apply it in the first place? A good painter would have checked the surface with a moisture meter before painting.

It sounds to me that unless he canm prove something that happened after the paint job is causing the peeling, you have a right to demand he strip off the peeling paint and redo the job. Probably have to take him to small claims court.

You did get a written warranty for workmanship I hope.

Reply to
Abe

Have you looked at Sherwin-Williams data on their Duration paint?

Flat Duration paint:

Satin Duration paint:

Rich

The contractor gave a two year warranty but refused to come back and fix it. We took him to small claims court and won the case. It peeled in three months. Now we have stipped the house down to bare wood and primed with SW oil base primer.The worst side is the storm side of the house which is the Northeast side here in the Northeast. This side never gets sun. I was wondering since we have had no problems in the past should I topcoat with the regular SW flat white body paint or take another chance with Durations. I really don't want to do this again next year I hate to paint, but I knew no contractor would take the time to strip the house down to bare wood and with the mess we had it was the only way to go. I have heard that Duration has silicone in it and if there is the least bit of moisture in the wood it will balloon which is some of the trouble we had. Is this true? Thanks for the input and the sites basically give the same info thats on the can. Thanks again!!

Reply to
Randd01