Programmable Thermostat w/ 2-week Schedule?

If you do end up going the two thermostat route, try buying a model that has a removable body. Program the two bodies differently and plug in the one for the week you want.

For example, I have a Honeywell Chronotherm. I can detach the body "for ease of programming" as it says in the manual.

Reply to
William Coney

I also have 50/50 custody. But mine is exchanges monday Wednesday friday. When i don't have my son i leave heat down really low due to money issues of not recieving the required child support she should be paying as having a phd. In addition to single parents, people who work Panama schedule work a 2 week schedule. Thats most airports, hospitals, factory workers. Any job that would require 24 hour coverage generally is on a 14 day schedule. Over 50% of marriages end in divorce. And another percentage of the population is on panema schedules as well. A 14 day thermostat has at least 70% of the population market. Yet despite the larger majority of the population wanting one, no one makes any.

Reply to
JM518

That has nothing to do with the question. You suggested a 7 day thermostats twice over. It was asked for a 14 day thermostat which has a larger market than a 7 day thermostats. Puting an add out for something no one asked for and was specified that no one actually wants dose not help.

Reply to
JM518

Can you support this statistic with a citation?

Thanks,

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

And this too:

"a 14 day thermostat which has a larger market than a 7 day thermostats"

It's not at all clear to me that you would sell more 14 day ones, even if they were the same price.

Reply to
trader_4

Looks to me like they would make a 30 day thermostats. That would cover a whold month and peobably not cost any more to make.

In this area there were a couple of places that did work rotating shifts of 2 weeks of days and 2 weeks of nights with 12 hour shifts so it would take a whole month to cover those people.

The wife and I never cared to do any automatc thermostats but just cut the temperature up and down for night and day, every day/night . Takes about 2 seconds to make the change as we walk by.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Yes, I was thinking that too, why stop at 2 weeks. They could make it so it's selectable, 1,2,3,4 weeks, it shouldn't cost more to make and they could charge more. But I doubt that the market is larger for those than the one week ones. Even if they were the same price, I would think a lot of people might be confused by it, think it's more complicated to set up, etc. I wonder what the market is for 7 day ones versus the more basic

5/2 day type.
Reply to
trader_4

30 years ago I thought I saw a setback thermostat with a Next key. Seems so obvious and so much easier than having to push + 4 times to go up 4 degrees, and down (-) 4 times to go down. Insted, there would be home periods and away periods, awake and asleep periods, and if you got home early and were cold, you'd push Next and it would go to the temp you planned to use when you got home. If you went to sleep early, Next. If it didn't know about New Years Day and you got up so late the warm period was over and it was back to Away, pressing Next would set it for 5:30PM when you normally got home. But the timer wouldn't take it out of that period until bedtime that night.

If you went to work on a weekend day, press Next before you left for work and it's in your sleep period, which is about the same temp as your away. If you stay home on a work day, press Next and it goes to 5:30PM when you wold be home.

So simple to build and to use but I've looked and looked and never seen one.

Even though I'm retired I would still be using a setback for awake and asleep but I'm too inconsitent. Cant' sleep, stay up late, sleep late.

Unless I was one of those Panama? workers I couldn't think beyond one week.

Don't they have X2 controls for thermostats that are set up on the PC with any schedule one wants, even non-repeating? Too complicated for me, Time consuming to set it up at least the first time. More expensive because of X2 wifi thermostat and maybe you need to keep the computer running all the time?????? Electricity, harddrive wear?

"Airports, hospitals, factory workers" may all have some people working on 2-week schedules, but not all. They have a wide range of jobs, including plenty who ae 9-5, M-F.

My seback thermostat was an early one, 1983, and it has a digital timer but uses a mechanical slide control to adjust the two possible temperatures, iirc. So it's easy enough just to move the slide control.

Reply to
micky

Reply to
Thomas

Would this thing be of any use?

Dean Hoffman

Why?

Reply to
micky

Just look at divorce rate. Over 50% of all marriages will eventually go to divorce. This might be when a child is 2, or even 22. Thats just the numbers for children of marriage. What about children of couples who never marry?? Whether or not they ever go to court, and whether or not it is reported the parents split up, does not mean they are not both single parents. My grandfather was an airtraffic controller. My mother an RN. Both worked 12hr shifts under panema or 2 week schedules. Meaning every other monday was a different schedule, everyother Tuesday and so forth. But the schedule repeated every 2 weeks. I have worked in the hospital as well, and any job that commonly calls for 24hr coverage is on 2 week schedule. Their are 4 different schedules, and generally your on your 2 week schedule for 6 months before switching. Alot of states have been switching to 50/50 parenting time either by law or by court decree. This is likely do to a 70% failure rate of mother only raised kids who get child support, while father only raised kids regardless have the same success rate as happily married couples. Studies found that leaving a child with their mother was bad, while leaving the child with their father was good. As a result, instead of going straight towards reversing centuries of culture, they are going directly down the middle. Look at studies with mothers in Jail. They find that if the mother was not the sole parent, ie father has sole custody while she is incarcerated the child has the same outcome of a married couple. Take the reverse, she has sole custody and the father is dead or missing for some other reason. The child has the same outcome rate being an orphen and going to a facility as if she stayed with the child and never went to jail. Meaning, by the study the child would have no different impact by sending the mother to jail, or the child would have a better outcome, if the father raises the child by them selves. Now look at studies for dads in jail. The reverse is true. Sending a dad to jail even if left with the mother has the same rates of failure as orphened children. In fact cuatody that has the fatger paying child support with only a day or two a week visitation has only slightly better ratea than orphened children. In all cases the beat outcomes for the child is sole custody to the Father or married couples. States now have gone to 50/50 custody either by laws past, or by decree from the states judges.

Reply to
JM518

No. Don't speculate. Don't make stuff up. Provide an actual citation for:

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

I think he has a bee in his bonnet about divorce.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

Years ago I worked shift work in a hospital. We were on a 7 week schedule - our days off were Monday Tuesday one week, Tuesday Wednesday next week, etc. 6th and 7th weeks we finally got a 3 day weekend.

Younger folk didn't like it because they wanted to party on the weekend, but for most of us we could do dentist visit, car repair, shopping, etc., during the week on our day off instead of having to use vacation or sick time.

I worked one ward where the schedule had us working one weekend a month, but we worked two shifts Saturday and Sunday and got four days off during the next week. I liked that but the bosses didn't.

Reply to
TimR

That's lovely, but hardly a statistically significant sample. My grandfather was a tool and die maker for Fisher Body. My mother an office manager.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

My great grandfather was an air traffic controller but he got laid off. The airplane was not invented yet.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Listen what kind of memory does it take to have 4 memory points for 7 days, vs 4 memory points for 14 days? Could a company even purchase a memory that only has enough storage for 7 days, the answers is no. So cost of manufacturing a thermostat with a choice between 7 day or 14 day is the same, as the memory industry simply stopped producing the inferior chips originally installed onto first generation thermostat years ago. So lets see cost and actual design is the same. The only disfference is a small code that lets you choose between 7 day and 14 day. You could even set up A and B schedule as well. Their is no actual cost increase in selling a 14 day universal thermostat, as you well know the memory modules that only have bits of storage are no longer produces at all, the ones that only have kilobits of storage are no longer produces. The ones that only store megabits are no longer produces anymore. They are using gigabytes storage now. The only reason they don't sell all with a possibility of 7, 14, or even an A,B,C,D schedule is just simple lazyness.

Reply to
JM518

Gigabyte flash memory chips in a basic programmable thermostat? I don't think so. The rest I agree with.

Reply to
trader_4

stopped producing the inferior chips originally installed onto first generation thermostat years ago. So lets see cost and actual design is the same. The only disfference is a small code that lets you choose between 7 day and 14 day. You could even set up A and B schedule as well. Their is no actual cost increase in selling a 14 day universal thermostat, as you well know the memory modules that only have bits of storage are no longer produces at all, the ones that only have kilobits of storage are no longer produces. The ones that only store megabits are no longer produces anymore. They are using gigabytes storage now. The only reason they don't sell all with a possibility of 7, 14, or even an A,B,C,D schedule is just simple lazyness.

Yes, not gigabytes, but there is a microprocessor called an Arduino that sells for about $ 3 from China that was designed for small projects by students and hobbyists. It has plenty of processing power and memory to do several settings every day for a month. It is about the same processing power of the old Radio Shack computers that came out years ago. ONly it is on a PC board about the size of a stick of gum. One of the many training projects is similar to the thermostat is a program to turn the water on and off for a sprinkler system.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery