Programmable Thermostat with Easy Override

I am looking for a programmable thermostat with an easy way to override the program. We have two programmables now, but they are not in a good location to turn them down when we are away. I would love to have a button by the garage door that would turn them both down (or at least one of them). I have sleep and wake settings on the one that I have, but with kids and a wife at home they are in and out all day so she will never waste the time to go to the thermostat on her way out and turn it down and then have to remember to turn it back when she gets home.

Reply to
Brad

I think that Totaline makes the best thermostats.

Easy to use.....not complicated......and very large backlit displays and backlit all the time (other dont light until you push a button). Also dont need batteries, they run of the 12vac alread provided from the HVAC.

They have some that have lots of programming, some with less programming and some just manual . I for one only ever just set the temp and turn on or off. Never use the programmability, so thats a big waste for me.

If its a Energy Star rated (which the programmables are) you get an additional discount from your local untility company.

Reply to
sts324

I basically have that functionality already. What I want is a "we're going out" button that will automatically switch the house into a low energy mode until somebody pushes the "we're home" button. I need to be able to locate this button(s) remotely since the garage door is not a good place to have the thermostat.

Right now I can manually override the temp which holds until the next time event occurs or I can hold it permanently, but that involves pushing the down (or up) button until I get to the right spot. It also involves being at the actual thermostats (both) to do it.

Reply to
Brad

Like a remote control? They exist, and IMO are better than that Carrier stuff (Totalline). There is also a neat little unit that is installed in many res applications that uses motion detectors that will shut the unit to a preset level and will bring it back down, or up to the temp you set when movement is detected, like when you walk in the door, and uses infrared to determine if someones in the room.

Reply to
CBHvac

Have you looked at the HAI thermostats? They have an input that will switch the thermostat to night mode if you apply 12v. When you remove the 12v, the unit goes back to its regular program. There is a second input which will shut off the system when you apply 12v.

Reply to
C G

12VAC in a 24VAC system.... How do you propose to do that?
Reply to
CBHvac

Links and/or names?

Reply to
Brad

Take a look at the Honeywell line of programmable thermostats. We find them dead simple to use.

Reply to
Ron

Reply to
Caroline or Greg :P

You can override with a remote to a set temp with only one button pushed?

Reply to
Brad

Look into X10. It's kind of expensive for the good stuff, but it works pretty well. With X10, you can have a button on your keychain that is an "I'm going out" button, that automatically turns off your lights, lowers your thermostat, etc.

The problem is that the good quality X10 components are expensive (and I've heard a lot of people who have the bad quality ones say they wished they got the good quality ones). The nice part is that X10 is very scalable. So you could buy the keychain with reciever and two thermostats for about $250 US. You can then add your light switches on in the future for about $50 per pop.

Just my $0.02

John

Reply to
John Smith

Gee, let me think. Oh, wait a minute, a cheap 12v DC power supply? Next question?

Chuck

PS. I hope you can figure out the rest, it's not rocket science.

Reply to
C G

No shit.

No its not...but I hope you can figure out why I am laughing at you so hard...after all...it aint thermal dynamics.

Reply to
CBHvac

It is truely pitiful that you are having trouble keeping up. I'll try to use simple words to make it easy for you to understand. The thermostat is built for 24 volt systems. However, it is also designed to interace with home automation and security systems. Most of these have 12 volt outputs. So, the thermostat has 12 volt inputs to allow the automation or security system to set it to either night mode or off. I hope this is not too complicated for you so far.

Now, the OP asked if there was a simple way to set a thermostat to something like an economy mode (or perhaps night mode) from a remote location, such as a garage. So, it seems fairly simple to install an inexpensive 12 volt DC power supply and run wires to the thermostat and a switch in the garage which would allow him to apply 12 volts to the thermostat when leaving the house, resulting in it going to night mode.

Got it now?

Reply to
C G

Yea...I had it before...thats why I was laughing..

Hope you didnt spend more than $45 for the setup...really.

Honeywell has one that will call you on your phone if the unit quits too....but its a horrible waste of time, and money.

For under $100 the OP can get a unit that has a remote, that he can mount at his door, that will allow the same things your over complicated system will, and do it using the existing wiring he has now.

Get it? Doubt it.

Reply to
CBHvac

Sure you did, that's why you questioned 12v in a 24v system. Seems you are backpedeling now that you've shown your foolishness.

Maybe to you, but not if a failure of the heat or A/C system would lead to significant financial loss. Probably not much of value in that doublewide...

Hmmm, let's see. I posted an actual unit that would do what the OP wanted. So far you've posted some drivel about an as yet unidentified remote control unit. Oh, I forgot, you also spewed forth some wisdom about a system with motion detectors. That certainly fits into your "over complicated system" category.

Yes, I got it. You're a contrarian who can't admit you were wrong. The OP asked for links or names. Pity you're too busy tearing down other people's ideas to be able to answer him.

Reply to
C G