Problem with Whirlpool washer

I have a Whirlpool washer less than 5 yrs old that has taken to stalling in the middle of the wash cycle.

I hired a trusted (retired) Whirlpool technician to come out and take a look, and he seems convinced it's not the timer, but wasn't really forthcoming as to why he felt that way.

He took a long look, squirted a little WD-40 into it, and put it back, saying it would probably solve the problem.

It didn't.

What compounds the issue is that the washer will occasionally (rarely) cycle through; most of the time, however, it hangs up. As an example, my wife started a load before bedtime the other night and found the machine in spin mode in the morning...with some of the clothing disintegrating.

Question: anyone seen something like this in a Whirlpool? Does it sound like a timer issue? If so, I'm more than willing to replace it...but at $100.00 a pop I'd like to have a reasonable sense that it will solve the problem.

If not the timer...what is it?

Thanks.....

Reply to
daler

not to sure w/ out looking at it , but it sounds like maybe one of the little plastic gears in the timer could be stripped/missing teeth.. orrrrrr. . . possibly the little cam or what ever its called that the timer gear moves to initiate the different cycles may be binding.

Reply to
Playintennis5274

"daler" wrote

If you mean it keeps doing what it's doing and the timer is not advancing then it's most likely the timer. If you manually advance the timer does the machine do what it should? Set it at spin and it will spin, set it at fill and it will fill, set it at wash and it will fill and wash. You need a timer.

Reply to
Ed