Problem with Schlage lockset

Hi. I have recently developed a problem with a couple of Schlage locksets on my external doors. The spring loaded latch will not automatically retract when the door is being closed. I have taken it apart and do not see anything obviously wrong.

My door is equipped with a separate double cylinder deadbolt and the residential knob/lever set. The round keyed knob is on the outside, and the lever handle is on the inside. The lever handle is not keyed, but has the small piece you turn to lock/unlock the door.

When you try to close the door, the latch piece does not retract and the door will not close. You have to turn the knob/lever to get the latch to retract, in order to close the door. ( If you try to push the latch piece manually, it will not retract)

Any suggestions for troubleshooting ?

Thanks.

Reply to
Nosmo King

STOP!! Do NOT ATTEMPT TO REPAIR THIS YOURSELF!!

You will most likely cause damage to the locksets requiring new hardware to be installed.

Lock repair is a highly skilled trade that requires the services of a skilled, educated locksmithing professional.

You can look here to find a pro in your are that will more than likely be able to assist you.

Again, don't try playing with this stuff yourself. It's just too complex for the average Joe to fool with.

HTH

Nosmo K> Hi. I have recently developed a problem with a couple of Schlage locksets on

Reply to
boson

What a load of crap.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

The racist, liar and software thief frank boson (flatfish) nymshifted:

< snip flatfish droppings >

You lately nymshifted to

Abbie Diaz, Aftab Singh, Allen Cusimano, Allison Juergans, allison_hunt1969, Anna Banger, anonymous, Archie, Archie Moss Bunker, Archie Watermann, Baba Booey, Babu Singh, Bill Thomson, bill.gates.loves.me, bison, Bjarne Jensen, BklynBoy, bonobo magilla, Boyce Mabri, Buster, Charles LeGrand, Charlie, Choppers McGee, Chris Thomas, Christine Abernathy, Claire Lynn, Clippy, Collie Entragion, Colon Singh, common cold, Connie Hines, Corrie, Corrie Titlaand, Curtis Wilson, dbx_boy, Deadpenguin, Debbie, Devon Dawson, dismoqualifetch, Donn Carlsbad, Dr.Long John Jones, Elliot Zimmermann, Elwin Winters, Emmanuel Arias, Fawn Lebowitz, flatfish+++, foamy, frank boson, Franz Klammer, Fred Simmons, gabriele howorth, Gary Stewart, GayClod, George Littlefield, Gilbert, Gilbert Hochaim, gilligan, Greg Finnigan, Greg Laplante, Hans Kimm, Harry Hilton, Harvey Fogel, Heather, Heather69, Heather Trax, Heddy Seafield, hepcat, Hugh Himless, Ishmeal Hafizi, itchy balls, Ivan Mctavish, IvanaB, Jeff Szarka, Joe Josephson, John, John Shelton, Jorge Jorgensen, Jose Lopez, juke_joint, kaptain kaput, Karel Olish, Karla Snodgress, kathy_krantz, Kendra, Kenny Dugan, Kent Dorfman, Kyle Cadet, L Didio, Laura Shillingford, Le Farter, Le Yammy, Les Turner, Leslie Bassman, Lilly, Lindy, Lisa Shavas, Lisa Cottmann, Lois Hunt, Long, long_tong_ling, Lukumi Babalu Aye, Luna Lane, Major Mynor, McSwain, Mogumbo, Moses, Mooshoo Bong Singh, narrows snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com, nate_mcspook, okto_pussy, OSS KDE User, Paddy McCrockett, Patricia, Patty Poppins, Peter Gluckman, Peter Kohlmann, Phillip Cornwall, phoung, phoung quoak, pickle_pete, Piss Clam, Poopy Pants McGee, Quimby, Quinton Magee, Quizno Backer, Rich, Richard P. Johnson, Richie, Richie O&#39;Toole, Robert Strunk, rothstein_ivan, Sally Vadi, Sammy, Sammy Whalen, Saul Goldblatt, Schlomo Smykowski, Sharon Cackle, Sharon Hubbasland, Sean, Sean Fitzhenry, Sean Macpherson, Sewer Rat, sewer_clown, Sherlock Holmes , Simon, sista sledgehammer, slacker.mcspritze, Spammy_Davis, spanny_davis, Stephan Simonsen, Stephanie Mannerz, Stephen, Stephen Olsen, Stephen Townshend, SuckyB, SunnyB, Susan Bladder, Susan Lapinski, Susan Wong, Suzie Wong, Swampee, Ted Bennington, The Beaver, Thorsten, Timmy Luncford , Toby Rastus Roosovelt III, Tomas Bicsak, Tori, Tori Wassermann, Trace Dennison, Tracee, Traci, trailerpark, Trina Swallows, Trolly, Trudi Simpkins, Tryxie Lustern, Vince Fontain, Vladimir Yepifano, Walter Bubniak, Wang Mycock, Wasser, Wendy Duzz, Whizzer, Wilbur J, Willy Wong, Winnie Septos, Wobbles and zyklon_C. Plus many, many, many more.

Reply to
Peter Köhlmann

I agree 100 percent Frank! I spent almost a year with my Foley Belsaw corpse before I felt that I had enough nowledge to even scrach the serface of what is needed for day two day lock servicing in the feeld. I feel now with my Foley traning, that I am well equippped to work in the feeld and start earning back some of the $20,000 I&#39;ve invested in the biziness. I got luck and bought an entire inventory, US Lock stuff, no junk! from a guy going out of business. He had no professional credentials like I got from Foley and he mostly drilled locks so I suppoe that is why he fayled. I can not say enouf about the Foley training. And I agree that a laypeople wurking on a locset is reely not a good thing. Good luck LUIS

Ayon kay boson:

Reply to
Luis

First off -- I suggest that you quickly learn how to communicate in writing, or your business will fail quickly... A business is only truly able to achieve success when it can land major clients and have "steady" business... Unless you want to be a bottom feeder and go from car opening to car opening or rekey nothing other than residential locks...

Secondly -- the Foley Belsaw course and others like it that are correspondence courses do nothing than teach you the absolute basics on residential locks and some automotive... There are only a small handful of "real" locksmithing schools that can actually teach you more than the minimum you need to become "certified" -- earning a certificate does not in and of itself magically become a "professional credential"... You must work to demonstrate your knowledge and obtain industry recognition through the ALOA by passing its tests that ensure a standard level of professional knowledge before certification... It would not hurt to also become "factory certified" by as many hardware manufacturers as you possibly can... Once you have several of those under your belt, you have BEGUN to build your "professional credentials" and can be taken seriously...

That is unless your goal is to play at locksmithing only cutting keys, opening car doors, and rekeying houses until you figure out there is much more to locksmithing than you thought there was...

Reply to
Evan