Pressure washer question

My gas pressure washer manual states that I must have a water source that provides at least 5 gallons per minute of water to operate the washer properly. My outlet using a 5/8" hose provides about 6 gallons per minute and the pressure washer works fine.

Is there any advantages in terms of the effectiveness of the pressure washer if I use a 3/4" hose to deliver the water to the pressure washer? ( I read somewhere that you can move 60% more water through a 3/4" than through a

5/8".)

Thank you,

Bob

Reply to
Bob

It's only going to use as much water as it can pump. If that goal is reached with a 5/8 hose then no there is no advantage of using a 3/4 hose.

Reply to
Meat Plow

the pump would reach full capacity quicker, that's about it. probably a 1/2 second or so.

Reply to
longshot

May be a little off topic,but I thnk the psi ratings of pressure washers to gauge its "strength" are hogwash. Probably tell you how much pressure there is inside against the piston or something, but I don't think it tells you the important thing you need to know, how fast the water is coming out: could be 50 or 5000 ft/sec - does this make a difference? This spec is never listed anywhere. You tell me. I believe this b/c I bought a max. psi aviable for 15A 110V unit, on sale for about $200 half price, and it sucked, it was little better than a hose, so I immediately took it back and spent closer to a $1000 on a pro unit, with the exact psi, exact 15A 110V, and there is a significant difference, for me. So specs are nothing. Just my 2 cents. Maybe you could rent a bigger hose for 15 miuutes and find out. Or make one with fittings from a hydraulic pneumatic fittings supplier ,using fitting(s) you may want anyway.

Reply to
bent

Assuming for argument that the spec's were indeed accurate between the two units, there are two things unaddressed that are probably the most important --

Nozzle quality and fan angle(s) and volume flow rate at pressure...

Replace the nozzle on the cheapie w/ that from the expensive unit and I'd say odds are fairly high performance would be markedly better.

--

Reply to
dpb

never thought about it, but according to "the specs" if I had a rotaty noxzzle that would be 50% better than that again.

However, to say that I didn't give both units a fair chance, ie did not adjust the spray to the optimum, is crazy.

For me, it was primarily to wash a car. There is a lot of kickback to it, like a co>> May be a little off topic,but I thnk the psi ratings of pressure washers

Reply to
bent