powerstrip blinking

The light on my power strip is not "blinking erratically," but flashing rhythmically - six flashes, then dark, six flashes, etc.

Reply to
Stepanie

The ubiquitous power strips used in every type of home or office have a tendency to flicker caused by the slow deterioration of the indicator light. ... The blinking is confined to the light itself; it doesn't affect the strip or the AC power available at the sockets.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Don't worry until it starts sending SOS

Reply to
rbowman

Sounds like a trouble code. What's the make and model number?

Reply to
Tony Fauci

If the light is acting as he described "six flashes, then dark, six flashes, etc." it doesn't sound like the flickering you sometimes see on a power strip. He even said "not blinking erratically".

I think we need a better description of the issue and maybe a model number.

A link to a video might help too.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

Grab the children and get out of the house, QUICK!

Reply to
Wade Garrett

Model # is YLPT-2, but I can't find any brand or manufacturer name on the thing. Naturally, it's not doing it at the moment so I can't get a video. If it happens again, I'll try to. Don't know what further description I can give. It's not flickering. It just starts flashing in sets of six, going dark between sets. It stops as suddenly as it starts. Neither the strip nor anything connected to it feels warm, and the surge protector hasn't tripped.

Reply to
Stepanie

As far as I can tell, it was made by Defiant. I found a "Use and Care Guide" for a YLPT?44 and a 45 but not for YLPT-2. Those guides do not mention anything about flashing codes.

If it's the $7 model from Home Depot and you don't trust it to protect your equipment anymore (if it ever really did) I suggest that you get a new one.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

It is sold as unbranded on eBay and at Home Depot. For six bucks if you are afraid of it, replace it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Repeated sets of six dots is the intergalactic symbol for Help. That is, help is needed. I think you have interstellar beings trapped in your strip.

Reply to
micky

"It is sold as unbranded on eBay and at Home Depot. For six bucks if you are afraid of it, replace it."

There is nothing wrong with that but you should still provide emergency services for the beings in the old strip.

Reply to
micky

Generally means the surge protector is shot

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Thanks for your help. I had decided to replace it, just in case, but was curious because it seemed like it was trying to tell me something!

Reply to
Stephanie