possible freeze: to water or not to water? (2023 Update)

Hi All,

I am not suppose to plant/transplant until the first week in June. We have been having a lot of hot weather, so I decided to jump the gun and get an extra month of cherry tomatoes and California peppers, so I transplanted.

Problem, tomorrow is suppose to dip to 30F. I may have to replace all my plants.

To water or not to water? Which is best in this circumstance? Guess moist soil would not spur bacteria growth that would warm it above freezing? Like wet hay?

I have nothing to cover them with

Many thanks,

-T

Oops, that was suppose to go to the gardening group. Sorry.

:'(

The water should be substantially above 30F, so maybe set up sprinklers to water them every 30 mins for 5 mins? Depends on wind and relative humidity. If it's windy and/or low dew point, the evaporative effect could make it worse.

Reply to
trader_4

Unless stays there for a while, decent chance they'll make it particularly if in sheltered area near house or somesuch.

Not in a few hours, no...

Surely you can find an old sheet or something that can use...newspaper, cardboard, even a drinking glass. Just not being very imaginative.

Smudge pots in a pinch...or like Mr Douglas on Green Acres, brought all his tomatoes back inside on episode.

--

Reply to
dpb

Ya, not really. We have strong winds around here and it blows that kind of stuff into the next county.

Wind is forecast too, so maybe that will help.

I hate when folks install trampolines. I almost had one come through my back windows one wind storm.

Newspapers if nothing else , a couple or 3 layers . Anchor the corners with rocks dirt or gravel . Bricks or whatever . Then spray them lightly to just dampen . The paper will frost but the plants won't .

Reply to
Snag

I don't have any newspaper. Wife is allergic to it.

Would watering the plants help?

Thirty F. isn't all that bad. You might not have a problem if there is a wind. Is this a small enough area where a shop fan would be any use?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Wind helping? Forget about watering, that with the wind will drop the temperature.

Reply to
trader_4

Yes, if it's continuous. But if you water it for 10 minutes, let it sit in high wind, what do you think happens, Mr. Science?

Reply to
trader_4

Why would you think wind helps? Wind takes the heat away from the surfaces, drops the temperature to that of the wind. If it's wet, it's far worse.

Reply to
trader_4

By looking at my two vehicles in front of my house. The one a little farther away where a little wind can hit it won't frost up quite as easily. The Farmers Almanac

It might not make sense but ground temperatures are a little bit lower just before sunrise. The sun heats the upper air pushing more colder air to the ground.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

I recall putting paper bags over plants during threats of frost.

Reply to
Frank

Grocery bags ? Anything you can use to keep the heat of the soil from escaping .

Reply to
Snag

There is a gardening group?

What is its name?

The only one I knew is dormant.

Reply to
micky

rec.gardens.edible

Aha, that was my problem. I think of gardens as work, not recreation, but I can ignore that problem!

I'd only looked at alt.home.lawn.garden and that's no good anymore.

Thanks.

Reply to
micky

Sure you do. Old sheets? Towels? Tarps? Anything heavy would have to be supported (e.g. by a milk carton full of water) so it didn't crush the plant.

If the plants are small, a bucket or canning jar can do the job.

If it's really windy you should also weigh down the cover.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

He could do what Trump would do, pour antifreeze on the plants.

Reply to
trader_4

Some really great gardeners over on that group. Really, really know their stuff. Have helped me enormously.

Lawn? You kids get off my lawn! Is Teddy still president? Is sparky still in he Navy? Why am I writing you? I hate when this happens. I have a lawn?