possible freeze: to water or not to water? (2023 Update)

Follow up:

Weather service said it dipped to 28F.

All of my cherry tomatoes survived. They were within 6 feet of the house.

The pepper plant closest to house is quite happy, but the remaining 9 are all wilted. But four of remaining nine did not fare to well with the prior transplant shock.

Maybe I should wait another couple of weeks before replanting the peppers.

Do you have any natural plants in your area that you can use for phenology?

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Sure. So, so many weeds. Cold does not bother them.

I am picking them as fast as I can. I have to put them in trash bags so they don't seed. So far, I am losing the battle. Important too, as they will become a fire hazard

Not every plant is an indicator.

Here, when lily of the valley is in full bloom, tomatoes can be set out.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

The rule around here is not to plant until Nevada Days, which is the first week in June.

Nevada Days is parade time, meaning mind numbing, stupefying boredom. I hate parades.

Anyway, I got greedy think I could get an extra month of yield, but paid the price. It is suppose to be 85F tomorrow! Probably freeze a few more times before Nevada Days.

Yep. We had some mild weather, but tomato planting time here is Memorial Day. You can eke out a few extra weeks if you want to fiddle around with cloches and stuff. We're getting down below freezing on Friday morning.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Either could just talk to the plants. Hot air is very effective.

Reply to
Bob F

They use big fans in the orchards just for this purpose.

Reply to
Bob F

Gargage bags help.

Reply to