porch fan need on/off switch?

I am installing a new porch fan. The romex to the box in the ceiling connects directly to another box in the attic and from there to the main panel. All connections are weather protected. I plan to put a remote control assembly above the ceiling, so there will not be anon/off swich to the fan other than the remote 'clicker'. Is it acceptable to have the 'clicker' on/off remote (located inside the house) as the only means to turn the fan on/off, other than at the main breaker? tia

** Posted from
**
Reply to
shellyf

Can't answer your code question, but I guess I'm showing my age 'cause I'd think a pull chain switch on the fan motor would be simpler.

Unless of course you can't easily install such a switch on the existing fan or you're seeking security against unauthorized folks controlling the fan.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

"I am installing a new porch fan. ... Is it acceptable to have the 'clicker' on/off remote (located inside the house) as the only means to turn the fan on/off, other than at the main breaker?"

I can't address the code issues, but I'd advise against it. Sooner or later the remote/clicker will become lost, broken, or the battery will fail with no spares in the house and the stores closed. Then you will wish you had a way to turn the fan on or off.

Best regards to all.

Reply to
CWLee

The fans typically have an on/off switch/chain in additon to the remote. Certainly there are many to choose from that do. IMO, if you don't already have a wall switch, it's usually not worth the trouble putting one in. Some have claimed there is some code issue involved, but I'm not aware of any code that says you have to have a wall switch.

Reply to
trader4