pool heaters

Anyone have experience with pressure switches?

Mine has malfunctioned twice in one year. I just looked it up and it's $52. This can get old real fast. :(

Brand is Teledyne ~ Telstar

Reply to
jthread

What's the malfunction, mechanical or electrical?

Reply to
Meat Plow

on the switch it self i'm not sure but i can bypass the switch. so it's getting juice, i'm assuming it's mech. but is there a easy way to check?

Reply to
jthread

One way would be to look at the contact points and see if they are closed when the water is cold enough to need heat. But not having a picture of this switch in my head doesn't help me to help you much. Do you have a part number?

Reply to
Meat Plow

i'll get the part number, and i'll remove the part and get a picture of it. right now i'm going to take a nap. i'll get back later today or tomorrow

thanks

Reply to
jthread

On my Pentair gas heater this is a diaphram and a microswitch. I am pretty sure I could just replace the switch, never had it go bad. Be sure you get this working and don't just jumper it out. It is an important safety function to be sure you have water flowing in the system before you turn on the heat.

Reply to
gfretwell

i won't. i was just checking to see what the problem was. probably not a good idea even then!

Reply to
jthread

well, it started working so i'm leaving it on. but my heater looks exactly like this one

my switch looks just like this one

jthread

If you are going to replace the switch anyway, take it off, take it apart if possible and look for defects. Something mechanical that is popped out of place, or corroded switch contacts. Re-assemble it correctly, clean the contacts and see if it works right.

Thinking more, look first for plugged passages which would prevent pressure from getting to the actuator.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

yes, that's exactly what i was thinking. it started working again. thanks.

Reply to
jthread

The coiled copper tubing between the header and pressure switch should be filled with mineral oil -- direct water contact with the diaphragm can cause it to corrode.

Reply to
Bob

What do your pressures look like? It may be working right if your filter is plugged up or you have some suction throttling.

Reply to
gfretwell

just checked it pressure was fine. it's also working fine, i'll try tomorrow. i was trying to turn the spa on so it probably dropped when i changed the valve for settings. i think it's a combination of pressure and maybe clogged lines to the switch.

to be continued...

thanks

Reply to
jthread

No experience with pressure switches other than the fact that I replaced one in my pool heater when it started leaking.

My experience with pool heaters is that all the parts wear out and it doesn't take long before you have to replace the whole thing.

I've replaced most of the parts and last year so many major parts were worn out or rusted out, I had to replace the whole thing. Apparently the combination of heat, water, and being outdoors all winter is pretty hard on them.

Never had a $52 repair. All my repairs were way over that. Make sure to keep the PH near neutral.

Reply to
Dan Espen

thanks, I get my water check reg. The pool place is pretty close by. I think your right about my heater. it's about 25 y/o. and it's outside uncovered. the people that lived here before never used it. they thought it was beyond repair. it only needed a pressure switch. i don't think they used the pool at all. i found that switch on the internets for $27. still expensive but quite a difference.

Reply to
jthread

makes sense, thanks

Reply to