Poison Ivy Removal - Total, Complete ?

Don Y wrote, on Thu, 17 Sep 2015 14:33:34 -0700:

It's *not* a repeat "infection".

You never eliminated the first infection.

The virus cleverly hid, in caves, near you spine, way upriver on a nerve, and just waited, like a guerrilla, to pounce upon the unsuspecting natives downstream.

The virus never left. It was just waiting for your immune system to let its guard down momentarily.

Reply to
Danny D.

Don Y wrote, on Thu, 17 Sep 2015 14:33:34 -0700:

Kids as young as teens get shingles.

But, you're right. It's normally something that happens as we age, and as a consequence, our immune system falters momentarily.

Reply to
Danny D.

Ralph Mowery wrote, on Thu, 17 Sep 2015 17:45:48 -0400:

You don't actually "get" it twice. It just never left.

Reply to
Danny D.

Don Y wrote, on Thu, 17 Sep 2015 17:19:18 -0700:

Nope.

Theoretically, there is no limit.

Just like there is no such thing to immunity to poison oak or ivy or sumac.

There is just the mathematical possibility.

Reply to
Danny D.

Oren wrote, on Thu, 17 Sep 2015 11:31:58 -0700:

It's a type-IV delayed hypersensitivity. Nobody is immune.

Some get it; some don't.

But, nobody is immune.

(It's how type-iv cell-mediated immunity works.)

Reply to
Danny D.

I was affected bilaterally and in several different portions of my body. Both hands, face, both sides of back, etc. Not the "single nerve" that is common with shingles.

Reply to
Don Y

micky wrote, on Thu, 17 Sep 2015 13:10:00 -0400:

We may be talking semantics here.

Soap and detergents are both "surfactants".

The difference is how they're made and what they're made up of.

Reply to
Danny D.

(PeteCresswell) wrote, on Thu, 17 Sep 2015 16:12:57 -0400:

If you want, I'll snap a picture of my red sweatshirt and bluejeans, literally splotched with poison oak black lacquer spots.

Clearly I have been covered in the oily stuff, and, I get the rash when I don't wash well.

What "I" do, is use a copious amount of Dawn/Palmolive, in a nice comfortably hot shower, usually covering myself from head to toe three times in a white film of dish detergent.

The theory is that the copious amount of surfactant "prevents" the catechol from adhering to a skin cell, and the just as copious amount of water flushes it down the drain.

Reply to
Danny D.

I recently bicycled through Sandy Hook. I have never seen so much poison ivy.

As mentioned, there are herbicides that only kill broadleaf plants. I just ordered this one for my mom:

I bought it to control thistle. But looking now I do not see poison ivy listed.

Don.

(e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

How do you keep from getting the itchy rash getting through all the protective gear?

Reply to
Muggles

Don Y wrote, on Thu, 17 Sep 2015 18:20:18 -0700:

I guess that simply means the Herpes guerrillas hid out in ganglia (caves) that connected to different "rivers" tied to your spine.

It's merely the luck of the draw.

Reply to
Danny D.

Stormin Mormon wrote, on Thu, 17 Sep 2015 07:48:29 -0400:

This is a good observation. I'm gonna guess it doesn't float - but - I don't know for sure.

Reply to
Danny D.

(PeteCresswell) wrote, on Thu, 17 Sep 2015 10:22:53 -0400:

Why "cold" water?

I've heard the bs about "pores" opening.

Guess what?

Urushiol *diffuses* through your skin. It doesn't need pores any more than glyphosate needs stomata to get into a leaf.

Molecules are small. Cracks and openings between and in cells are huge, by way of comparison.

Think about a ping-pong ball going through a baseball wire mesh backstop.

Why do I always use perfectly comfortable hot water?

Because I want to WASH & RINSE for as long as I can, and the more comfortable I am, the more likely I'll wash and rinse again and again.

Reply to
Danny D.

Hi Oren,

Yeah. I have been busy.

My sister and her hubbie had some, shall we say, "issues", so I inherited her young kids, so to speak, while she's sorting this stuff out, which is keeping me pretty busy (ever try to keep up full-time with an 8 year old when you thought you were all done with that years ago?).

The treehouse project, which was my neighbor's pet project, is on hold. I was there today, fixing some broken boards - but there's not much to report back.

We have been doing a LOT of radio work (building a mesh neighborhood system), and a LOT of genocidal maniac work on the Spanish Broom. And that's just for today.

Lunch for an 8-year old made by a clueless uncle:

Treehouse taken today, not much progress:

Antenna taken today, we're getting too old to climb these things:

Why do all the WiFi radio wires look the same?

Had to gently coerce this widow to move to a new location:

Learning how best to use cut-stem glyphosate technique:

Broke another lopper today (my third this month!):

Spanish broom taken today (I'm a genocidal maniac):

Spanish broom in the landscape buckets:

Clearing minor poison oak around the old cave so the kids can play:

Debugging a leaking hot water heater today (how to *find* the leak?):

etc.

And that's just today...

Aw shucks.

Reply to
Danny D.

Per Ralph Mowery:

And then there is shingles - same virus, and some people get multiple cases of shingles.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Per Danny D.:

Great analogy....

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

(PeteCresswell) wrote, on Fri, 18 Sep 2015 09:57:26 -0400:

Shingles. Herpes Zoster. Chickenpox.

All are caused by the same non-living viral particle.

The only difference is in your immune response.

Reply to
Danny D.

I once looked into them. The removal tends to not be very permanent. If the weed is dry, the tops burn off, leaving the roots okay. It grows back. You need to use them after it has rained. With the plant saturated, the heat will conduct down the roots and damages the roots. Somewhat.

Don.

(e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

Not the difference between wash and rinse, that Pete said.

Okay, thanks.

Reply to
micky

Who owns this land? You?