pocket door

Does anyone here know how to install a pocket door? or where I can find info for installing one?

you know a door that slides into the wall. Any info you can provide would be helpful.

Here is a photo of where I would like to put it.

Paul "Arthur" Julian

Paul,

Don't have install guide - bur here's a vendor that sells the hardware track, pulls, etc...) Obviously you will need to have adequate space in the wall, existing wiring and plumbing will have to be re-routed, and if it's a load-bearing wall there may be other issues as well...

Pocket doors are nice though - adds a touch of character to a home, I hope this works for you...

Good luck,

Kevin O'

Reply to
Kevin O'

Kevin O'

I had them in a previous house. Couple of things: The wall can't be load bearing, or you need to have a beam capable of spanning the opening*2 in width. The *2 comes from the fact that you literally need "pockets" for the doors to slide into, they must be as big as each door and have no obsructions. They ride in a top track, and the only logical way to install one would be to frame the entire wall with respect to the manufacturer's requirements for the size of the opening and details on how the track gets mounted. Oh yeah, if you plan on having convenience outlets on those walls, in the space where the hidden doors reside, you need to check for clearanace and quite probably use very shallow electrical boxes. Very last thing I remember is arguin with the guys who installed W-W carpet in the two rooms. I insisted that they just notch out the *padding* in the "trough" where the doors closed, they fought me a bit but did it that way. It worked out fine, no excessive wear. And it was a high traffic area (dining-living).

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz
  • Vote on answer
  • posted