Plumbing vent in the wall?

I was at the boat house where my son rows. They are putting in bathrooms. One had a vent pipe coming off the toilet and going up to the roof. The other toilet had a pipe that went up about 4 feet and ended in a vent. There was a grill on the wall next to it.

Seems to me that will smell pretty bad in a little while. Does it even meet code?

Reply to
Toller

Not even close (assuming that it's as you describe).

Reply to
Doug Miller

I don't think so, to do it right it would have to go out through the wall, then turn up and go above roof level.

nate

Reply to
N8N

If it was a "Studor" vent, then its probably alright, as long as they have at least one vent going to the roof.

Reply to
Grandpa

look up 'air admittance vent'. T

Reply to
tbasc

I googled it and yes, that is what they have. Thanks.

Reply to
Toller

Whether it meets code depends on your location and how lax the inspector may be.

I was told by a building inspector that although these vents are the first choice, they can be used in situations where there would be no other way to vent. The issue is the device must remain accessible at all times and periodically checked to make certain the diaphragm is clean and working.

These tend not to expel sewer gas unless the diaphragm is defective. As the system is being used, these allow outside air into the vent pipe to assist in drainage.

The vents are handy and easy to install but only where allowed.

The last thing you'd want to do is seal one up in a wall. It would then be impossible to monitor its condition.

Reply to
franz frippl