Plumbing project? ? ?

Does anybody check to see who posted what in this NG?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

As others have said here:

Q: How do you know that the other bathrooms do not still use "original" water supply piping?

A: You do not know and can not discover that until you open up some walls in some of the units...

You seem so concerned about the water supply side of the equation, but I would be more concerned with the drain side... Your building is probably still using its original soil/vent stack -- if the 4th floor drains were capped off in 1950, then disturbing that stack will probably be the most scary aspect of the "project" you have proposed...

I would look into what the permitted use of the 4th floor space is as things stand now... I am betting it is listed as storage space not fit for human habitation... Adding "creature" comforts like running water to such space so people can hang out up there to use the room(s) for something sounds like it will bring up egress issues...

Building constructed in 1922, you probably have asbestos insulation, asbestos containing floor tiling or asbestos containing wall plaster which will need to be abated before you can do any work on the rooms... Rooms last used in the 1950's, you are probably looking at abating lead painted walls and woodwork to prevent any future liability for what would become common space for all the building occupants to use...

I would just leave that space alone as if you wake the sleeping dogs that lie there you might be looking at a much costlier project than just hooking up some pipes...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan