Plumbing problem: double sink w/disposal

OK, so I got the new sink all plumbed. Ended up using all ABS since old brass P-trap cracked. I used a double-sink drain kit to connect the disposal and strainer basket (had to go buy a second tailpiece for the strainer). While putting it together, I noted the plate molded inside the tee separating the two sides of the inlet: figured it would be OK. Boy, was I wrong: the next day I had to go back there since, of course, the disposal side was clogged.

The plate inside the tee made it impossible for all the crap from the disposal to turn the corner, so it clogged big time. So I took it apart, intending to cut the plate in half: of course, it was so thin that it just snapped right out, so, OK, I put it back together, and now it won't clog.

But now I have the opposite problem: when you run the disposal, it comes up into the other side of the sink through the drain. Not pretty. Client will live with it for now, but it's not right.

So what does a guy do to fix this? Was looking through some on-line plumbing catalogs and saw some fittings called double sanitary tees that looked like they might do the trick, as they would block flow (at least partially) from one side to the other. Problem is that they're obviously made for gluing into a stack, not screwing in under the sink. I also found something called a "double long reach wye" that looked even better. As it stands, the disposal, which exits horizontally, just shoots right through the tee out the other side.

Or what about installing a secondary trap on one side or the other?

Surely I'm not the only person with this problem. There must be some easy solution.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

David Nebenzahl spake thus:

That should read a "double long turn wye".

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Go to some of the disposal manufacturers websites and look at the install pics. Also, pay attention to the height/distance limits that are spec'd on the install instructions that you have. I suspect your install violated at least one of the parameters. I have a double bowl sink with a disposal. The disposal has a downward pointing elbow that is part of it. That goes into the top of a tee. The side of the tee goes to the other bowl, the bottom of the tee to the trap.

Reply to
trader4

Mine double sink works fine. Plumbed as follows. Disposal exits to an elbow that exits downward into a Y type tee, then to a trap. Line from the tee runs to other sink which is about 4" above height of the line.

Reply to
Jeff